Rontini Submarine BBS Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > U.S. Submarine Related
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"The opinions posted here do not represent those of any company, organization, or group and are those only of the author of the respective post." - From Rontini

RontiniSubmarineBBS.com is proudly sponsored by Submarine Shop for Submariners. Your patronage helps support this BBS.

At Ron's direction, we have removed all forums that were not being actively posted to.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runner485 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1960
    Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 8:13am

60 years ago today in lower Manhattan, I raised my right hand and swore alligence to the constitution of the United States and was sworn into the Navy. I was 18 years old...I can still see us all standing there with raised hands, solemnly being sworn in.
That night we were on a train that left from Hoboken NJ for the Great Lakes.

I can't believe its been that long ago. Confused
DBF
Joe
SS485,CVA42
Holland Club
Mid-Atlantic Base
Sewer Pipe Snipe View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sewer Pipe Snipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 9:02am
Whitehall, years later to be bombed in 68 and 69. Closed in 72 and the center moved to Fort Hamilton at the base of the Verrazzano-Narrows Bridge. That does bring back memories.
Walt,
Had I done everything right throughout my life, the World wouldn't have noticed.
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 9:53am
Same place, four months later. I raised my right hand on June 30th, 1960, I was seventeen however.

During the train ride to Chicago, the train swung up thru NY State into Canada. My first time out of the Country!

I was given a stack of Records for the travelers. I was told that if anyone did not make it, I would be shot or court marshalled or such! None of those NYC travelers cared one bit what I said.

Edited by SaltiDawg - 29 Feb 2020 at 8:56am
Tom McNulty View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom McNulty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 1:40pm
Whitehall for me was March 1963. Not too sure about the "solemn" part of swearing in. I heard there were approximately 2000 being sworn in. I guess they were beating the upcoming draft. Better to choose your branch rather than wait for the draft to do it for you. The train to GLakes was miserable and long. Worse was waiting over a week to get uniforms and such. By the time we turned over pur civvies they stunk like hell and were stiff enough to stand on their own. Pitied my Mom opening the box.
SSBN599B,SSBN600B,SSBN611G
USNR Beaumont, TX,
USSVI Life Member
Mid Atlantic Base
Holland Club
610ET View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 610ET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 12:19am
9/65

Depart Groton, CT to Boston to NYC, right hand up and train to GLAKES.

Not as long ago as some but a lifetime in the past.
Rontini599 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rontini599 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 6:10pm
March 1960 in Denver, CO Dan Martini and I raised our hands also.  I lasted 8, he lasted for the duration.  I was off-crew in 63 when we lost the Thresher and at sea in Nov/63 when the CO announced about JFK
My heroes wear dog tags, not shoulder pads
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic