Rontini Submarine BBS Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > U.S. Submarine Related
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"The opinions posted here do not represent those of any company, organization, or group and are those only of the author of the respective post." - From Rontini

RontiniSubmarineBBS.com is proudly sponsored by Submarine Shop for Submariners. Your patronage helps support this BBS.

At Ron's direction, we have removed all forums that were not being actively posted to.

On the way to submarines

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old Salt
Old Salt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave595 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: On the way to submarines
    Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 7:54pm
Not necessarily sub related but, 60 years ago this month in boot camp we trained on the USS Recruit (TDE - ).  Thought some of you might want to see her again.

EM1(SS)
USS PLUNGER (SSN-595)
HOLLAND Club
USSVI LIFE Member
Blueback Base, Rogue-Umpqua Base, Olympic Peninsula Base
gcconnor1 View Drop Down
Old Salt
Old Salt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcconnor1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 8:06pm
58 Years ago for me on Feb 20th!!!!!
GC Connor EMC(SS)/LT USN Ret
USS Ethan Allen(7)
Holland Club WA2STJ
bob dubois View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob dubois Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 5:23am
57 years
Bob DuBois SK1(SS)
USS Sailfish SS572
USS Sculpin SSN590
USS John Adams SSBN620(Blue)
Holland Club
Tom McNulty View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom McNulty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 9:11am
I never stepped aboard. Don't know why but perhaps it's when the company did but I was a week in sick bay with the measles. This would have been March 1963. Didn't do service week either. I was the company MAA so I was the one the company commander told to make up the watch list for service week. Needless to say, I opted out. The company commander knew I was a Sea Scout up to the age of 16 so he knew I didn't need the USS Recruit experience.
SSBN599B,SSBN600B,SSBN611G
USNR Beaumont, TX,
USSVI Life Member
Mid Atlantic Base
Holland Club
Bgurls View Drop Down
Former CO's
Former CO's

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bgurls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 9:48am
62 years ago this date I was at RTC GLAKES enjoying the balmy winds off Lake Michigan.  Caught strep, nobody cared.
SSR269,SS580(CO),SS582(XO),SSBN634,SSBN619,AS18(XO),SUBASE PH(XO),SUBSCHOOL(XO),SUBPAC(FLAG SEC),PERS42(DETAILER), CSS1(Chief Staff Officer)DAV(Life Member)VFW(Life Member)
ftg1ss View Drop Down
Old Salt
Old Salt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ftg1ss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 5:14pm
43 for me, guess I'm just a youngster
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 7:07pm
60 years for me - Company 280 RPOC.
jack mcpherson View Drop Down
Mess-Crank
Mess-Crank

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jack mcpherson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 6:44am
66 years for me
jack mcpherson
Dr. Stan View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Stan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 8:07pm
60 years this summer.  I didn't know the old USS Neversail was still "sailing".  I still remember the main task I had was polishing the brightwork.  Also learned that you go up the ladder on the starboard side and down on the port side.  Or was it the other way around? Wink
It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues.~Abe Lincoln
SS-393, SSBN-610(B), SSBN-624(G), SSN-591
USSVI Life Member; Holland Club; Plank Owner, Smoky Mtn. Base
Runner485 View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runner485 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 9:47am
Yer right Stan...Up starboard down port.
And I too had a case of strep. A horrible way to start boot camp. UGH!
DBF
Joe
SS485,CVA42
Holland Club
Mid-Atlantic Base
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic