Rontini Submarine BBS Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > U.S. Submarine History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"The opinions posted here do not represent those of any company, organization, or group and are those only of the author of the respective post." - From Rontini

RontiniSubmarineBBS.com is proudly sponsored by Submarine Shop for Submariners. Your patronage helps support this BBS.

At Ron's direction, we have removed all forums that were not being actively posted to.

Silent Service Television series

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 4:26pm
No worries. I struggled with getting those episodes ripped properly for far too long. Thought software was my problem. In the meantime, my main server here at home died, so I built a brand new one, a BEAST with 32Gb RAM and 10TB of storage. On a whim, I tried ripping the DVDs with it.. and it worked flawlessly from the first try. 

So, I've got the process debugged, can crank em out pretty fast now. 

G
MT2/SS
USS Simon Bolivar - SSBN 641 (B)
USS Henry M. Jackson - SSBN 730 (B)
USSVI - Wyoming Base
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 4:58pm
It takes me just a few seconds to download each episode. Takes maybe 2 minutes to transfer them via WiFi to my storage in Living Room for display on my Pioneer Plasma.
The video issues I saw in Episode one were not bad and I am positive were not introduced by your manipulations.
I have DVDFab and was going to convert your files to mp4 or something but as I said, no need.

My wife cringed at the dialog a few times during the Episode about Jack. Specifically not referring to the "Japanese" by that name, but rather as the pejorative shortened versions. I reminded her that when this originally aired that was almost assuredly our usage also.

Which reminds me. We watched the film Midway a couple of weeks ago. Not well done, IMHO, but I'm currently reading Midway by Walter Lord. In any event, at the end of the film they voiced over a Dedication of the Film to
both the American and Japanese Heroes involved. I found that offensive and will not watch that film again.

Edited by SaltiDawg - 10 Apr 2020 at 5:14pm
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2020 at 7:14pm
So, Episode II and Trout is going into Corregidor in 1942. Looking for a Bearing To Ft.Drum. They pass the word up to the Bridge that it should bear Bearing 505 degrees...

Edited by SaltiDawg - 13 Apr 2020 at 7:14pm
610ET View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 610ET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2020 at 8:13pm
Most (all?) of these original SS episodes are on YouTube with the commercials removed.

Convenient if you can get it on your TV.

Are these better quality?

Edited by 610ET - 15 Apr 2020 at 8:17pm
gerry View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2020 at 8:29pm
No, sadly the source media (DVDs) I ripped them from were recorded at 640x480. I could upscale them, but the visual quality wouldn't change.
MT2/SS
USS Simon Bolivar - SSBN 641 (B)
USS Henry M. Jackson - SSBN 730 (B)
USSVI - Wyoming Base
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2020 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by 610ET 610ET wrote:

Most (all?) of these original SS episodes are on YouTube with the commercials removed.

Convenient if you can get it on your TV.

Are these better quality?

gerry's are at the same res as you tubes - 640-480

Commercials are not included - just a "Insert Commercial Here" flashed on screen. Same as You Tube.

PS What is the name of the boat that is shown in the opening credits? Shown surfacing from deep. Also, I wonder what the circumstances were????

Edited by SaltiDawg - 20 Apr 2020 at 12:59pm
Dantini View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dantini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 9:23am
Saltidawg,

It was the Pickerel (SS-524), surfacing at a 48 degree up angle, from a depth of 150 feet, during tests off the coast of Oahu, Hawaii, 1 March 1952.   http://www.navsource.org/archives/08/08524.htm
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 9:57am
Thanks! That must have been quite a ride to the surface.
610ET View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 610ET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 9:12pm
When the boat slid back down at an angle didn't the stern get pretty deep?
Dantini View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dantini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 11:27am
610 - I had also heard that she went down pretty deep after her surface, but if you watch the entire video at: https://twitter.com/navalinstitute/status/1246502178631700480  you will see that she stayed safely on the surface after that Emergency Blow.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic