Rontini Submarine BBS Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > U.S. Submarine History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"The opinions posted here do not represent those of any company, organization, or group and are those only of the author of the respective post." - From Rontini

RontiniSubmarineBBS.com is proudly sponsored by Submarine Shop for Submariners. Your patronage helps support this BBS.

At Ron's direction, we have removed all forums that were not being actively posted to.

Silent Service Television series

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Silent Service Television series
    Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 3:54pm
Through a generous donation by John Clear, we are in possession of every episode of The Silent Service, a television series from the 50s. 
I have been converting them from DVD media to digital files, and am making them available here:

Season 1 (39 episodes)

Season 2 (39 episodes)

3/29/2020 - First 16 episodes of Season 1 uploaded for your binging pleasure.
4/12/2020 - All 39 episodes of Season 1 are uploaded. Some of the disks had minor scratches, so some of the file may have problems. If you encounter this, let me know and I will re-rip the episode at a lower speed (for error correction).
6/14/2020 Episodes 1 through 36 of season 2 are now online at the above link. It seems I am missing Episodes 37, 38, and 39. Will update here when I am bale to get them posted. 

Edited by gerry - 14 Jun 2020 at 4:32pm
MT2/SS
USS Simon Bolivar - SSBN 641 (B)
USS Henry M. Jackson - SSBN 730 (B)
USSVI - Wyoming Base
Tom McNulty View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom McNulty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 5:34pm
Reminds me that I need to convert the original John Clear VHS tapes. After all this Covid19 settles down.
SSBN599B,SSBN600B,SSBN611G
USNR Beaumont, TX,
USSVI Life Member
Mid Atlantic Base
Holland Club
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 5:51pm
I'm trying to figure how to convert the m4v files linked to to, say, DVD or another format so I can more easily display at home. (I do have DVDFab,)
gerry View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 6:50pm
All - You can easily download and view these episodes on your computer with Windows Media Player or the free tool VLC. There is also a Mac version of VLC.

@Tom - Should be simple enough with one of those VHS/DVD player/recorders.

@SaltiDawg - If you'd like I can provide ISO images of the DVDs once I am done ripping the episodes.
MT2/SS
USSVI - Wyoming Base
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by gerry gerry wrote:

@SaltiDawg - If you'd like I can provide ISO images of the DVDs once I am done ripping the episodes.

Gerry, let me try on my own, but I may need to ask you for help.
gerry View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 9:08pm
Sure! Let me know if you need a hand.
MT2/SS
USSVI - Wyoming Base
Tom McNulty View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom McNulty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 8:43am
I have one of those VHS/DVD thingies. I just have to remember to do it. Been remiss since I can still see the VHS versions. Thanks
SSBN599B,SSBN600B,SSBN611G
USNR Beaumont, TX,
USSVI Life Member
Mid Atlantic Base
Holland Club
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 12:45pm
Turns out I can stream the m4v format Silent Service episodes to my Big Screen TV and watch. Watched the first Episode re the Jack - skippered by CDR Dykers, the host of the Series. Wife and I will watch an episode every three or four days. Looking forward to gerry being able to get to Season II - or is it the second half of Season I

Edited by SaltiDawg - 10 Apr 2020 at 3:38pm
gerry View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 2:01pm
29 episodes in Season 1, so I have a few to go. Should get some time this weekend to post some more. 
Glad you guys are enjoying them!

G
MT2/SS
USSVI - Wyoming Base
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 4:17pm
gerry,
Please don't rush on my account. Why wife and I watch maybe 35-45 minutes of a movie every night - so it takes typically 3 or 4 nights to watch a movie.
Before viewing the next movie I have saved up, we view a "short" for one night or sometimes 2 nights. Say a Silen SErvice Episode, a Netflix Series Episode, or similar.

It'll take us over a month before we work thru the 16 Episodes you've posted so far.

Edited by SaltiDawg - 10 Apr 2020 at 4:53pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic