Rontini Submarine BBS Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > U.S. Submarine Related
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"The opinions posted here do not represent those of any company, organization, or group and are those only of the author of the respective post." - From Rontini

RontiniSubmarineBBS.com is proudly sponsored by Submarine Shop for Submariners. Your patronage helps support this BBS.

At Ron's direction, we have removed all forums that were not being actively posted to.

Help appreciated

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sewer Pipe Snipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help appreciated
    Posted: 19 May 2020 at 12:48pm
My Grandson is interested in family history. He has asked me a question about my wife's Uncle that died in the battle of Midway He was on Yorktown CV5, Torpedo Squadron 3 ARM1c. I know he was a first class aviation radiomen, but what does the small "C" stand for? 
Walt,
Had I done everything right throughout my life, the World wouldn't have noticed.
Richard View Drop Down
Qualified
Qualified

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2020 at 12:59pm
it has been my understanding that the small "c" stands for class as in Aviation Radioman First "C"lass.
Don't know if this is correct, but that's how I have seen this used. 
SS-337, SSN-595 Plankowner, Holland Club
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2020 at 3:19pm
Class.

EDIT Oops. I just now see Richard answered this. Sorry!

Edited by SaltiDawg - 19 May 2020 at 5:26pm
Sewer Pipe Snipe View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sewer Pipe Snipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2020 at 3:27pm
Thanks
Walt,
Had I done everything right throughout my life, the World wouldn't have noticed.
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2020 at 5:08pm
Tell him, Walter Lord's book, Incredible Victory, is an outstanding read on Midway. Lots of mention of Torpedo Squadron 3 off of Yorktown and some numbers of individuals named... read a free sample at Amazon Kindle

Edited by SaltiDawg - 19 May 2020 at 5:08pm
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sewer Pipe Snipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2020 at 7:15pm
Thanks again. I got the Kindle version. I almost spent the $142 for the hardcover so he would have it, but I will haunt old book sites to look for one first.

Edited by Sewer Pipe Snipe - 20 May 2020 at 5:50am
Walt,
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 8:26am
I am re-reading all of the Walter Lord books again. He has a gripping way of almost make me feel as if I am there with the participants when Midway was attacked, Pearl was hit, The Titanic struck the iceberg, etc, etc.
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 4:58pm
I see Paperback versions for sale in the $14-$20 range. Copies in Libraries also.

EDIT: $48.49 Hardcover on Ebay

Edited by SaltiDawg - 21 May 2020 at 5:02pm
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 12:09pm
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sewer Pipe Snipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 2:59pm
Thanks for all the help. Asa will be seven on June fourth, the day of the battle. He was given the choice of a book or something else. He opted for a poster of the torpedo Bombers bearing in on the carriers. I am of the type that gets the highest grade of present possible for something like this. Meaning a mint condition book. When he was born he became the owner of a very high grade Browning SA 22 LR. Eventually he shall have a book, just not yet. I doubt he will take care of it like he should. I made the mistake of giving him a spear point to take to show and tell this year, and it is now in two pieces. I am hoping the 8" Megalodon tooth I found on the Outer Banks while at AC & R school. As an aside, the ranking Chief was really named Donald Duck or Mickey Mouse, he was a MM Suffering from CRS lately. Sometimes things are so clear, other times it takes me a whole day to finally remember. 

Edited by Sewer Pipe Snipe - 22 May 2020 at 3:01pm
Walt,
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic