Rontini Submarine BBS Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > U.S. Submarine Related
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"The opinions posted here do not represent those of any company, organization, or group and are those only of the author of the respective post." - From Rontini

RontiniSubmarineBBS.com is proudly sponsored by Submarine Shop for Submariners. Your patronage helps support this BBS.

At Ron's direction, we have removed all forums that were not being actively posted to.

Remembering the Scorpion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Remembering the Scorpion
    Posted: 22 May 2020 at 8:18pm
To the men of the USS Scorpion

"My Boy Jack" by Rudyard Kipling

"Have you news of my boy Jack?”
    Not this tide.
"When d'you think that he'll come back?"
    Not with this wind blowing, and this tide.

"Has any one else had word of him?"
    Not this tide.
For what is sunk will hardly swim,
    Not with this wind blowing, and this tide.

"Oh, dear, what comfort can I find?"
    None this tide,
    Nor any tide,
Except he did not shame his kind—
    Not even with that wind blowing, and that tide.

Then hold your head up all the more,
    This tide,
    And every tide;
Because he was the son you bore,
    And gave to that wind blowing and that tide!
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 9:05am
Lost three friends on Scorpion, Had COMSUBLANT himself and Staff (Admiral Schade) aboard when Search Began. He "Surfaced all US and NATO Submarines on Patrol except FBMs on actual deterrent patrol so that we could ignore traffic lanes and safety depth restrictions and proceed as we desired to drop them off at the Sea Buoy at NORVA.

Our Search area then was assigned in shallow water (Of Course)off the Norfolk Coast. I did find a Sunken WWII uncharted Wreck on the bottom and so reported. They later sent another 637 down to locate it for an ASR. They couldn't find it. NY Times reported it as a classified item.
They sent us back and we drove right to it and the ASR moored and explored the wreck. Turns out the WWII German Boat with a Conning Tower and Deck Gun was actually a sunken barge with a crane boom and a shack. The NY Times never reported that, AFAIK.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic