Rontini Submarine BBS Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > U.S. Submarine Related
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"The opinions posted here do not represent those of any company, organization, or group and are those only of the author of the respective post." - From Rontini

RontiniSubmarineBBS.com is proudly sponsored by Submarine Shop for Submariners. Your patronage helps support this BBS.

At Ron's direction, we have removed all forums that were not being actively posted to.

Boomer makes full crew exchange at sea

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boomer makes full crew exchange at sea
    Posted: 22 Jun 2020 at 2:12pm
ET1ss Nuke; 1962 - 1973. SSN-588, CVA-63, SSBN-629 BLUE, SSN-669 PLANKOWNER, FICPAC
FTGC(SS) Lane View Drop Down
Old Salt
Old Salt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FTGC(SS) Lane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2020 at 2:51pm
What about the stores?
gerry View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2020 at 6:47pm
We took on stores at-sea on the Henry M. Jackson, but it was only a few days worth. Rigged the davit at the AMR2 hatch, and the transfer vessel had a brow and small crane (not nearly as large as the one in the pictures). Took on maybe two weeks worth of stores, in about 4 hours as I recall. 

It. Was. Hell. 

Can't even imagine doing a full crew/stores/repair parts load at sea. Poor bastards. 
MT2/SS
USS Simon Bolivar - SSBN 641 (B)
USS Henry M. Jackson - SSBN 730 (B)
USSVI - Wyoming Base
610ET View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 610ET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2020 at 9:33pm

Duplicate

Edited by 610ET - 23 Jun 2020 at 9:34pm
610ET View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 610ET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2020 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by 610ET 610ET wrote:

What's the point?

The relieving crew has been ashore for three months.

The relieved crew will then have been ashore for three months when they return.

Don't the two crews work together for refit?

More to the story?

gerry View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2020 at 9:40pm
It is my understanding that the oncoming crew is quarantined for a number of weeks before going out to relieve. Kinda like refit but you can't go home.
MT2/SS
USSVI - Wyoming Base
610ET View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 610ET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 8:08pm
Interesting.

How/where are they quarantined?

Unlike refit, the boat isn't there?

Re vulnerability, I remember that for the first week or two many of us would catch the same cold.

gerry View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 8:21pm
That is an excellent question. I don't know what Kings Bay is like anymore, been over 30 years since i was there. Back then, it was still a swamp with a couple of buildings and the tender. 

Bangor I am much more familiar with, but they still wouldnt have lodging for a whole crew to quarantine in unless they cleared the barracks. Maybe borrow a living barge from the shipyard?

Re vulnerability me too, always caught a cold for the first week of patrol and the first week back. 
MT2/SS
USSVI - Wyoming Base
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic