Rontini Submarine BBS Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > U.S. Submarine Related
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"The opinions posted here do not represent those of any company, organization, or group and are those only of the author of the respective post." - From Rontini

RontiniSubmarineBBS.com is proudly sponsored by Submarine Shop for Submariners. Your patronage helps support this BBS.

At Ron's direction, we have removed all forums that were not being actively posted to.

RONTINI BBS HISTORY REMEMBERED

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 7:50am
Fun times.  I have those patches sewed on my vest.
Paul

ETN2(SS) 63-67

Rontini599 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rontini599 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 1:01pm
August 31, 1945 | USS Runner (SS 476) represented the US submarine service along with 10 other US submarines in the Tokyo Bay at the formal surrender ceremonies.
My heroes wear dog tags, not shoulder pads
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rontini599 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 1:04pm
Never will forget Luke "the lid."  He was not a submariner but hung out with us.  I remember him once telling us (I think he had imbibed a little that night) that he was on a Army/Air Force plane that dumped barrels of Agent Orange in Marianna's Trench! 
610ET View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 610ET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 1:08am
Nice memory jog.

I found this site by accident around the end of the run.

I lurked for awhile before signing on.

One of the first things I did was buy a ships plaque for 610 which is a beautiful piece hanging on my wall today.

Hard to believe it has been 23 years.

Edited by 610ET - 04 Sep 2020 at 1:09am
Dr. Stan View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Stan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2020 at 9:04am
I, too, found Rontini's BBS at about the same time as some of the rest of you, i.e., during the Perth run. I watched the festivities and wondered what the heck was going on, but stayed around and eventually participated after the run was done.  Soon thereafter one of my former shipmates from the Edison, Bobby Ray Barbee (Beeare) posted and we were able to re-connect.  I have been a member here since and have made over 10,000 posts during the last 23 years.  Many subvets have come and gone during that time and there is a long list of folks I remember, including Luke the Lid, whom I considered friends.

I have some memorabilia from BBS members including a set of silver dolphins from Bobby Ray, a Son's of the Joaquin CD from Cowboy (Gary McLaughlin), a hand-painted plaque of the Queenfish's (393) ship's patch from "Hoot" Gibson, a signed copy of Torpedoman from Ron "Warshot" Smith, a Queenfish (393) ship's plaque in bronze and a chunk of the Woodrow Wilson hull as well as some other items I can't recall.  But, more importantly I have a ton of good memories from the time spent here interacting with other sub vets. I have spent countless hours here but I don't considered any of it to be wasted time.

It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues.~Abe Lincoln
SS-393, SSBN-610(B), SSBN-624(G), SSN-591
USSVI Life Member; Holland Club; Plank Owner, Smoky Mtn. Base
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rontini599 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 1:58pm
BR Barbee stopped in Wyoming on his way to the East.  Anyone have his contact info?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic