Rontini Submarine BBS Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > U.S. Submarine Related
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"The opinions posted here do not represent those of any company, organization, or group and are those only of the author of the respective post." - From Rontini

RontiniSubmarineBBS.com is proudly sponsored by Submarine Shop for Submariners. Your patronage helps support this BBS.

At Ron's direction, we have removed all forums that were not being actively posted to.

RONTINI BBS HISTORY REMEMBERED

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Qualified
Qualified

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ELT627 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RONTINI BBS HISTORY REMEMBERED
    Posted: 19 Aug 2020 at 11:13am
When the internet was fun. In 1997, they were only two submarines sites on the Internet. One was Ron Martini‘s Submarine bulletin board. Someone made a post, wondering if we could get a full crew together from those on the Bulletin board to man a submarine. Well just like anytime you have nukes and smokeboat sailors together, It will be a competition. And this Devolved into the race to Perth. It was a fun long memorial weekend. People would come on And throw different drills into the mix, and we were all struggling to remember everything we had learned and we had someone it may have been MYRON HOWARD Who acted as comsub And issued orders. Being a nuke I was on the runner of course. How many of you were around for that? Of course that was in the days of Dos and maybe Windows 3 Or something like that.
JrKrup, Skimmer View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JrKrup, Skimmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2020 at 12:03pm
I was there as an outside spectator, enjoying every post. That's when I met you all. Thanks for the memories. Jon Krup, Skimmer - Minesweeps
Jon Krup, Skimmer - Minesweeps
Tom McNulty View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom McNulty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2020 at 2:48pm
I came aboard as a spectator while the run to Perth was well underway. I just watched figuring how would an MT1SS be able to contribute. The BBS was quite an event. The Most Coast bash, Bash at the Ranch, Torsk work weekends, and catching up with shipmates. There were many discussions, some of which were hijacked by non submariners. But we survived as a BBS. Then we had an opportunity to watch a Middie through his career up to a Submarine CO. There are many other memories thanks to Ron Martini and this BBS.

SSBN599B,SSBN600B,SSBN611G
USNR Beaumont, TX,
USSVI Life Member
Mid Atlantic Base
Holland Club
Flapper View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2020 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by Tom McNulty Tom McNulty wrote:

I came aboard as a spectator while the run to Perth was well underway. I just watched figuring how would an MT1SS be able to contribute. The BBS was quite an event. The Most Coast bash, Bash at the Ranch, Torsk work weekends, and catching up with shipmates. There were many discussions, some of which were hijacked by non submariners. But we survived as a BBS. Then we had an opportunity to watch a Middie through his career up to a Submarine CO. There are many other memories thanks to Ron Martini and this BBS.

I'll drink to that, Tom.Beer
ET1ss Nuke; 1962 - 1973. SSN-588, CVA-63, SSBN-629 BLUE, SSN-669 PLANKOWNER, FICPAC
Rontini599 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rontini599 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2020 at 8:39pm
I was XO of Runner and also supply officer for spirits.  We had many tanks filled with all manner of libations.  The Hogfish took off and she was easy to track.  The Runner took off North under the ice and headed for Perth with many stops as we had the speed.
In the end it was decided to pull into Perth in a dead heat.  

We did a couple of other runs in the Runner.  We took a bunch of paperwork out of D.C. and dumped it in the Atlantic depths.  Don't remember if that was Watergate or the Clinton tapes.  
Then we arranged a hockey game with Russia and Jim Mandleblatt stole a Zamboni and we took off to Vladivostok.  We won 4-3 which was the Miracle on Ice score.  
My heroes wear dog tags, not shoulder pads
Rontini599 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rontini599 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2020 at 8:47pm
Roy Ator designed and had the patches made by the way.  
My heroes wear dog tags, not shoulder pads
ELT627 View Drop Down
Qualified
Qualified

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ELT627 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2020 at 8:39am
Roy may have designed them but I had them made and mailed out to those who purchased them.
Gil
James Doherty View Drop Down
Mess-Crank
Mess-Crank

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James Doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2020 at 6:35pm
I came aboard during the run. I never made it to any of the bashes, but met many of the shipmates at the USSVI meeting in Reno. I havent been active lately been working at Ft. Polk training troops for deployment.
jad
ELT627 View Drop Down
Qualified
Qualified

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ELT627 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 12:58pm
good to hear from some of you old phartes.

So many have crossed the bar who participated in this. 

whalen View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whalen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 10:54pm
Just thinking these past few days about "Luke the Lid" -- wonder what he'd have to say about the riots in Racine and etc.

He put together some good times at the Midwest Bashes in Manitowoc!  
whalen QM2(SS)
618G, 368, EB Dept 333, Yellow Front Clerk, Green Door Bartender, and QuarterMANster extraordinaire
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic