Rontini Submarine BBS Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > U.S. Submarine Related
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"The opinions posted here do not represent those of any company, organization, or group and are those only of the author of the respective post." - From Rontini

RontiniSubmarineBBS.com is proudly sponsored by Submarine Shop for Submariners. Your patronage helps support this BBS.

At Ron's direction, we have removed all forums that were not being actively posted to.

USS BOISE DELAYS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rontini599 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: USS BOISE DELAYS
    Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 9:37am

WASHINGTON — It has been five years since the attack submarine Boise returned from its last patrol, and this whole time she has been waiting on some loving care and attention in the shipyards.

On Monday, the check cleared for roughly $351.8 million that covers the initial planning and work as part of her overhaul at Huntington Ingalls Newport News Shipbuilding where she has been in dry dock since earlier this year. Another contract covering the full engineering overhaul is in negotiations, according to Naval Sea System Command spokesperson Colleen O’Rourke, work that will include significant maintenance on the nuclear propulsion system and modernization upgrades.

The running tab on Boise so far is $355 million, with advanced planning money already awarded, according to the Defense Department contract announcement. The work under this contract is scheduled to wrap up in May 2023, eight years after the sub left the operational fleet.

My heroes wear dog tags, not shoulder pads
Dr. Stan View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Stan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 10:58am

It has been five years since the attack submarine Boise returned from its last patrol, and this whole time she has been waiting on some loving care and attention in the shipyards.

The Boise sat idle for five years in the shipyard waiting for repairs?  That can't be right?  Right?  I must have misunderstood something here.

Last year, the Government Accountability Office found that in total, between 2008 and 2018, attack boats waiting to go into maintenance had sat idle for 10,363 days. That’s years of lost time and a large chunk of which would certainly have been operational availability.

I won't get into politics, but this sounds political to me.  This just isn't right.

It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues.~Abe Lincoln
SS-393, SSBN-610(B), SSBN-624(G), SSN-591
USSVI Life Member; Holland Club; Plank Owner, Smoky Mtn. Base
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 1:42pm
"May 20, 2017 The Boise is currently moored at Berth 4, Pier 3 on Naval Station Norfolk.

October 16, Huntington Ingalls Inc. - Newport News Shipbuilding, Newport News, Va., was awarded a $59,8 million contract for planning and execution of Engineered Overhaul (EOH) for USS Boise. This contract includes options which, if exercised, would bring the cumulative value of this contract to $385,7 million. Work is expected to be completed from Jan. 9, 2019, through February 2021.

April 4, 2018 USS Boise moved from Berth 4 to Berth 6, Pier 3 on Naval Station Norfolk; Moved "dead-stick" to Pier 5 in Newport News Shipyard on June 18.

March 25, 2019 USS Boise moved "dead-stick" from Newport News Shipyard to Berth 1, Pier 3 on Naval Station Norfolk; Moved to Berth 36, Super Pier 5 in Norfolk Naval Shipyard on Sept. 4; Moved back to Berth 1, Pier 3 on Sept. 20; Moved to Berth 3, Pier 3 on Nov. 21; Moved to Newport News Shipyard again on Dec. ?.

February 27, 2020 Huntington Ingalls Inc. - Newport News Shipbuilding was awarded a $15 million modification to a previously-awarded contract (N00024-18-C-4314) for continued advance planning and availability preparations for the Engineered Overhaul (EOH) of USS Boise. Work is expected to be completed by May.

May 8, USS Boise moved "dead-stick" from Berh 3, Pier 3 on Naval Station Norfolk to Dry Dock #4, Newport News Shipyard.

June 26, Huntington Ingalls Inc. - Newport News Shipbuilding was awarded a $22,8 million modification to a previously-awarded contract (N00024-18-C-4314) for continued advance planning and availability preparations for the Engineered Overhaul (EOH) of SSN 764. Work is expected to be completed by September.

September 21, Huntington Ingalls Inc. - Newport News Shipbuilding was awarded a 351,8 million modification to a previously-awarded contract (N00024-18-C-4314) for the USS Newport News' overhaul. Work is expected to be completed by May 2023.

gerry View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 1:55pm
Them some expensive tugboats. Can you imagine the impact to the careers of the crew? Being on a ship in the yards is bad enough, but being stuck there with the ship idle? I hope those guys are at least getting farmed out to other commands to get some training and deployments.
MT2/SS
USS Simon Bolivar - SSBN 641 (B)
USS Henry M. Jackson - SSBN 730 (B)
USSVI - Wyoming Base
Dr. Stan View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Stan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 11:56am
What about the reactor?  There surely has to be cold iron watch and others to keep an eye on things.  The times I was in dry dock in various subs for various reasons for short periods of time we kept the entire crew and lived in the boat.  I presume some form of presence has been maintained on the Boise over the years?

I mean, what the heck do people do when they have no mission and not much to do?  I wonder what this situation does to morale?

It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues.~Abe Lincoln
SS-393, SSBN-610(B), SSBN-624(G), SSN-591
USSVI Life Member; Holland Club; Plank Owner, Smoky Mtn. Base
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic