Rontini Submarine BBS Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > U.S. Submarine Related
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"The opinions posted here do not represent those of any company, organization, or group and are those only of the author of the respective post." - From Rontini

RontiniSubmarineBBS.com is proudly sponsored by Submarine Shop for Submariners. Your patronage helps support this BBS.

At Ron's direction, we have removed all forums that were not being actively posted to.

Agent Orange and ships in Vietnam

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rontini599 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Agent Orange and ships in Vietnam
    Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 8:04pm

I went through the list and only found the Queenfish SS 393 on the list.  The list is constantly evolving however.
Also:
According to 38 CFR ยง 3.307(a)(6)(iii), eligibility for the presumption of Agent Orange exposure requires that a Veteran's military service involved "duty or visitation in the Republic of Vietnam" between January 9, 1962 and May 7, 1975.  This includes service within the country of Vietnam itself or aboard a ship that operated on the inland waterways of Vietnam.  However, this does not include service aboard a large ocean-going ship that operated only on the offshore waters of Vietnam, unless evidence shows that a Veteran went ashore.  Inland waterways include rivers, canals, estuaries, and deltas.  They do not include open deep-water bays and harbors such as those at Da Nang Harbor, Qui Nhon Bay Harbor, Nha Trang Harbor, Cam Ranh Bay Harbor, Vung Tau Harbor, or Ganh Rai Bay.  These are considered to be part of the offshore waters of Vietnam because of their deep-water anchorage capabilities and open access to the South China Sea.  

In order to promote consistent application of the term "inland waterways", VA has determined that Ganh Rai Bay and Qui Nhon Bay Harbor are no longer considered to be inland waterways, but rather are considered open water bays.  This is a change from previous policy.  As of February 2, 2016, new ships will not be added to the list based on operations in those locations and no additional dates for operations in those locations will be added to those ships already on the list. Veterans who served aboard ships already on the list for those locations will retain the presumption of Agent Orange exposure.  New Veteran claimants who were aboard ships in those locations, during the dates already on the list, will also qualify for the presumption of exposure.  This presumption will extend to all future disability claims from these Veterans.  However, Veterans who were aboard ships in those locations, during new dates not currently on the list, will not qualify for the presumption.  Likewise, Veterans aboard new ships in those locations will not qualify for the presumption of exposure.

Also, your must have symtoms caused by Agent Orange and not just in the area.

If you have information (quote source) of any other submarines that are on the list, I will add them. 

Don't post otherwise as it muddies the waters. 
My heroes wear dog tags, not shoulder pads
Dr. Stan View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Stan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 6:27pm
I guarantee the USS Queenfish was nowhere near Vietnam between October, 1961 to June, 1962.  In fact the farthest the Queenfish traveled from San Diego in that time period was Long Beach, CA.  The  Vietnam business happened after the end of June, 1962 which was when I left for Nuke school at MINSY.

It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues.~Abe Lincoln
SS-393, SSBN-610(B), SSBN-624(G), SSN-591
USSVI Life Member; Holland Club; Plank Owner, Smoky Mtn. Base
Runner485 View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runner485 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2020 at 9:22pm

Uh oh....Dr Stan you just muddied the waters, tsk tsk tsk CryCryDeadDead
DBF
Joe
SS485,CVA42
Holland Club
Mid-Atlantic Base
Dr. Stan View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Stan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 12:18pm
Sorry about that.  But, the truth must be told.  And as a submarine veteran I have an obligation to tell that truth, with the exception of sea stories, that is.  Wink

The last time this came up a subvet named James 'jaydee' Drannan contacted me.  He came aboard the Queenfish at about the same time I left so, although we overlapped, we didn't remember each other.  At any rate, he did go on that excursion to Viet Nam.  

And JD, if you read this, thanks for the info you sent me.

(Ron, I didn't notice the "Don't post otherwise as it muddies the waters." restriction until now.  Sorry.)

Stan Mize

Edited by Dr. Stan - 17 Oct 2020 at 12:29pm
It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues.~Abe Lincoln
SS-393, SSBN-610(B), SSBN-624(G), SSN-591
USSVI Life Member; Holland Club; Plank Owner, Smoky Mtn. Base
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic