Rontini Submarine BBS Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > U.S. Submarine Related
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"The opinions posted here do not represent those of any company, organization, or group and are those only of the author of the respective post." - From Rontini

RontiniSubmarineBBS.com is proudly sponsored by Submarine Shop for Submariners. Your patronage helps support this BBS.

At Ron's direction, we have removed all forums that were not being actively posted to.

How does this work

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runner485 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How does this work
    Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 9:23am
Maybe one of you retired Chiefs or a wardroom type can answer this...A shipmate of mine and a friends son were career navy. They both were senior or master chiefs when they became Warrant officers. My question is this. Did they have to upon becoming Warrant Ofcs have to requalify for gold dolphins. Also a more mundane question is where did they bunk, Goat Locker or in the panaled spaces.
DBF
Joe
SS485,CVA42
Holland Club
Mid-Atlantic Base
Bgurls View Drop Down
Former CO's
Former CO's

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bgurls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 11:03am
In my experience, Warrant Officers on submarines were very rare.  They keep silver dolphins until and if they earn gold, which I never saw.  On the tender, all my Warrants, W-1 thru CWO4 were billeted in Officer Country and were members of the officers' mess.
SSR269,SS580(CO),SS582(XO),SSBN634,SSBN619,AS18(XO),SUBASE PH(XO),SUBSCHOOL(XO),SUBPAC(FLAG SEC),PERS42(DETAILER), CSS1(Chief Staff Officer)DAV(Life Member)VFW(Life Member)
gerry View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 11:37am
I only ever met one Warrant in my career, and he was part of the NTPI/NWAI/DASO team from Special projects. .He berthed and ate with the O-Gang while onboard.
MT2/SS
USS Simon Bolivar - SSBN 641 (B)
USS Henry M. Jackson - SSBN 730 (B)
USSVI - Wyoming Base
Tom McNulty View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom McNulty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 12:19pm
Saw a CPO and an E6 make Warrant. The CPO stayed in his Goat Locker rack. The E6 racked out in Hanging Gardens. Both dined in the Officers Mess. Both were promoted while at sea and were immediately transferred when we pulled back into Holy Loch. Regarding quals, I just don't rememeber.
SSBN599B,SSBN600B,SSBN611G
USNR Beaumont, TX,
USSVI Life Member
Mid Atlantic Base
Holland Club
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 12:25pm
" In 1943, the Uniform Regulations were modified to provide that: "Enlisted men, who are qualified and subsequently promoted to commissioned or warrant ranks, may wear enlisted submarine insignia on the left breast until they qualify as submarine officers, at which time this insignia would be replaced by the officers' submarine pin."
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 2:07pm
I served on Bergall at a time where they had a Warrant Officer attached and also a Chief EOOW. The Chief was Qualified EOOW and the Warrent was qualified OOD.
They sometimes had an all enlisted underway Watch Section - a matter of pride to all of us!
That said, They still could not make up a legal Duty Officer in port.

Edited by SaltiDawg - 14 Dec 2020 at 1:59pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic