Rontini Submarine BBS Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > U.S. Submarine Related
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"The opinions posted here do not represent those of any company, organization, or group and are those only of the author of the respective post." - From Rontini

RontiniSubmarineBBS.com is proudly sponsored by Submarine Shop for Submariners. Your patronage helps support this BBS.

At Ron's direction, we have removed all forums that were not being actively posted to.

To all who read and post here

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rontini599 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: To all who read and post here
    Posted: 24 Dec 2020 at 6:09pm
Wishing you a very joyful holiday season despite these difficult times. We really wish things were different and that we could visit you personally! We hope that the New Year brings your family much happiness, prosperity and good health, and that in time the world will be a safe place again. Take care of yourselves and see you on the Web. l 
My heroes wear dog tags, not shoulder pads
Sewer Pipe Snipe View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sewer Pipe Snipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2020 at 11:33am
Merry Christmas to all, and to all a great New Year.
Walt,
Had I done everything right throughout my life, the World wouldn't have noticed.
Tom McNulty View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom McNulty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2020 at 1:06pm
Merry Christmas to one and all, especially my shipmate Ron Martini who likely signed my Qual Card.

SSBN599B,SSBN600B,SSBN611G
USNR Beaumont, TX,
USSVI Life Member
Mid Atlantic Base
Holland Club
Rontini599 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rontini599 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2020 at 4:43pm
Could have been me.  I rode the 599 63-68 with 6 months off for B school in 65.  Some of the best times of my life.  Great boat, great crew, even the forward types.  I roomed on SubBase with a RM and a MT-That was 63-65 Blue crew.
We (Blue) brought the boat back to EB for overhaul/missile change in 65 and they divested 1/2 of the crew or more.
When I graduated B school I had orders to new construction Greenling in Portsmouth.  I was the only one there for 6 weeks before they decided I was too early and got orders back to 599/Gold. I was thrilled.  Some of the guys on the boat were PO'd because I had missed 7 months of fire watches and a dirty yard period.  LOL. Made E-6 in B school and walked out the gate in 68 after 8! 

ps: 599 was the first boat to Holy Loch.  The 598 left they yard and went right on patrol. 

pss: In my small town here there is a guy who was Blue Plank Weapons officer.  He will be 90 next month. 

Edited by Rontini599 - 30 Dec 2020 at 4:45pm
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom McNulty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2020 at 5:44pm
I knew you signed my card. When I saw your name I thought, does he know there's a drink named after him. Who was the MT? I remember J.E.B. Stuart, Craig Ehlers, Woodie, George Rosenbaugh, and Curtis Breaux. The last two defined "submarine animals". I have a memory lapse as having been at the original COB's house for a visit in Florida. He was COB during construction and later became a Mustang. I'll be seeing him again this Winter if all are healthy. He had a scrap book with a lot of 599 history.
USNR Beaumont, TX,
USSVI Life Member
Mid Atlantic Base
Holland Club
Sewer Pipe Snipe View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sewer Pipe Snipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2020 at 5:45pm
Possibly Ron just doesn't want it known he was involved in your qualification. Plausible deniability to preserve a separation of political view.Big smile

Edited by Sewer Pipe Snipe - 31 Dec 2020 at 5:46pm
Walt,
Had I done everything right throughout my life, the World wouldn't have noticed.
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom McNulty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2021 at 3:07pm
Ron,

I have the Chief's name. He's Dennis Murphy. I'll be visiting him again the Winter if the Covid doesn't screw that up.
USNR Beaumont, TX,
USSVI Life Member
Mid Atlantic Base
Holland Club
Runner485 View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runner485 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2021 at 7:45am

It's a small world Tom, just like I found out you went to H.S. with a kid I grew up with. I found that to be an amazing coincidence...
DBF
Joe
SS485,CVA42
Holland Club
Mid-Atlantic Base
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom McNulty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2021 at 8:56am
It is a small world Joe. Now I'm stuck with that Disney World "It's a small world" in my head. I hope 2021 is so much better for you and Elsie.
USNR Beaumont, TX,
USSVI Life Member
Mid Atlantic Base
Holland Club
Rontini599 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rontini599 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 12:20pm
The MT was Al Smith who eventually made W4 on Tenders
The RM was "Bones" Byron. His parents lived in Rhode Island. Bones is now in Florida.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic