Rontini Submarine BBS Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > U.S. Submarine History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"The opinions posted here do not represent those of any company, organization, or group and are those only of the author of the respective post." - From Rontini

RontiniSubmarineBBS.com is proudly sponsored by Submarine Shop for Submariners. Your patronage helps support this BBS.

At Ron's direction, we have removed all forums that were not being actively posted to.

Chief Petty Officer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2021 at 8:37am
No, it came with a major revision to the 3M PMS system.
In 1963 the Navy established the Planned Maintenance System.
In the late 1960s and the 1970s the Boats I served on called the Division leading enlisted man as the LPO and the title of the head of the 3M system for the Division's Gear was the Work Center Supervisor.
In my limited experience they were the same person, just different hats.

Edited by SaltiDawg - 17 Jul 2021 at 8:42am
610ET View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 610ET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2021 at 8:47am
Originally posted by SaltiDawg SaltiDawg wrote:

No, it came with a major revision to the 3M PMS system.
In 1963 the Navy established the Planned Maintenance System.
In the late 1960s and the 1970s the Boats I served on called the Division leading enlisted man as the LPO and the title of the head of the 3M system for the Division's Gear was the Work Center Supervisor.
In my limited experience they were the same person, just different hats.

Yes, in my case I had both jobs but I don't recall the designation distinctions.

Of course it was, ahem, awhile ago.
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2021 at 9:43am
The distinction might be demonstrated by the fact that the LPO "ran" the Division - Quals, discipline, work distribution, signed "Chits" for Leave, out of bounds, etc, etc, etc.
The Work Center Supervisor's responsibilities was exclusively the performance of and the deferral of PMS.

The above is my own wording, I suspect those words could be improved on by a few of us here.

Edited by SaltiDawg - 17 Jul 2021 at 9:43am
gerry View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2021 at 10:22am
Got to my first boat in '86. We were in the yards in PNSY. I had "Chief Powers" as my Leading Chief Petty Officer (LCPO), and "MT1 Blankenship" was our LPO. The Work Center Supervisor was usually an MT2 in our division, and I got that honor for a couple of years (Us weapons weenies also had a maintenance system for the weapons system, called PMMP (preventative maintenance management plan). I ran that, they gave me 3M as an afterthought. Anyway, the point was we had a Leading Chief  AND a Leading PO and neither did maintenance management. I *think* we had two LPOs because we were ramping up crew numbers preparing to split crews coming out of the yard. Missile Division was typically ~18 people, at that time we were around 25 and climbing. 
MT2/SS
USS Simon Bolivar - SSBN 641 (B)
USS Henry M. Jackson - SSBN 730 (B)
USSVI - Wyoming Base
610ET View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 610ET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2021 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by SaltiDawg SaltiDawg wrote:

The distinction might be demonstrated by the fact that the LPO "ran" the Division - Quals, discipline, work distribution, signed "Chits" for Leave, out of bounds, etc, etc, etc.
The Work Center Supervisor's responsibilities was exclusively the performance of and the deferral of PMS.

The above is my own wording, I suspect those words could be improved on by a few of us here.

Yes, "ran" as in following what and how Chief wanted it done.

Some guys didn't get it and didn't want to be LPO.

I saw it as win-win (however we phrased that back then.)

It was a lot of "uncompensated" extra work but a great opportunity to acquire leadership experience either going forward USN or as a resume enhancer in the private sector

Turned ou that neither of those became applicable in my case but the idea was still sound and I actually appreciated the experience the furthur away I got from it.

Oh, and 3M was a bitch.

Edited by 610ET - 20 Jul 2021 at 4:07pm
Runner485 View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runner485 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2021 at 9:15am
When I left the navy in Feb of '64 the Chief of the Boat was just that name. I don't know when it changed to COB which I do like, as being short and sweet. Someone said that below E7, we used last names or nick names, which was how we addressed each other.
I just think to refer to someone as petty officer so and so, or Senior Chief is so unnecessarily formal. I guess there is a reason for it, not sure I would understand it.
DBF
Joe
SS485,CVA42
Holland Club
Mid-Atlantic Base
610ET View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 610ET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2021 at 11:58am
Originally posted by Runner485 Runner485 wrote:

When I left the navy in Feb of '64 the Chief of the Boat was just that name. I don't know when it changed to COB which I do like, as being short and sweet. Someone said that below E7, we used last names or nick names, which was how we addressed each other.
I just think to refer to someone as petty officer so and so, or Senior Chief is so unnecessarily formal. I guess there is a reason for it, not sure I would understand it.

It sounds unnatural but progress.....?

Edited by 610ET - 29 Jul 2021 at 11:58am
FTGC(SS) Lane View Drop Down
Old Salt
Old Salt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FTGC(SS) Lane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2021 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by Runner485<font size=3> Runner485 wrote:

I just think to refer to someone as petty officer so and so, or Senior Chief is so unnecessarily formal.

A lot changed in 20 years. Yes the Navy got more formal as it was deemed that the way you (and I) had been taught to address others was too informal. I do not know the "WHO" that made that decision. But I blame Tail Hook.
In 1970 I learned it was COB, not the full "Chief of the Boat".
gerry View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2021 at 7:54pm
1986, USS Simon Bolivar - My Chief, as mentioned above, we called "Chief". Off the boat,  he was Eddie. Petty Officers we referred to by last name if there were O-gangers around or when speaking in the third-person, otherwise first names. The COB was "COB". we only had one SCPO on the crew, so he was "Senior", and our bull nuke was "Master Chief". 

1990 USS Henry M. Jackson - Chief Jones, Petty Officer Smith, etc. around officers, or by last name if "alone". The "Trident" Navy was a lot more strict about that sort of thing while onboard. Off-ship it was first names, even for the Goats and a few JOs (except the COB, who was always "COB").
MT2/SS
USS Simon Bolivar - SSBN 641 (B)
USS Henry M. Jackson - SSBN 730 (B)
USSVI - Wyoming Base
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic