Rontini Submarine BBS Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > U.S. Submarine History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"The opinions posted here do not represent those of any company, organization, or group and are those only of the author of the respective post." - From Rontini

RontiniSubmarineBBS.com is proudly sponsored by Submarine Shop for Submariners. Your patronage helps support this BBS.

At Ron's direction, we have removed all forums that were not being actively posted to.

USS SCORPION lost 53 years ago today

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: USS SCORPION lost 53 years ago today
    Posted: 22 May 2021 at 8:19pm
Today we mark the loss of USS SCORPION, SSN-589, lost this day in 1968 with all 99 crew aboard.  SCORPION and her crew rest 400 miles southwest of the Azores in 10,000 feet of water, yet they still serve on eternal patrol. 

There are numerous (and some divisive) theories about the loss of the ship, and while we do not wish to devolve into any arguments here, I will ask the question however:

Did any of you know anyone on SCORPION or have any stories of SCORPION you would be willing to share?

Edited by gerry - 22 May 2021 at 8:22pm
MT2/SS
USS Simon Bolivar - SSBN 641 (B)
USS Henry M. Jackson - SSBN 730 (B)
USSVI - Wyoming Base
Dantini View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dantini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2021 at 8:29am
Gerry,

Here is a link to a very informative video about the Scorpion's loss that I am putting in the June Mail Buoy newsletter for Ron:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJWHiPSvzh8&t=491s
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2021 at 9:57am
In 1968 Admiral Schade was COMSUBLANT. Admiral Schade had been XO on Growler when Commander Gilmore earned the Medal of Honor when he ordered, "Take her down."
Anyhow, the Admiral and a few of his Staff were in New London and aboard my boat, USS Pargo, to earn his Sub Pay when Scorpion was deemed overdue.
He had us get underway, and take him directly and immediately to the Sea Buoy off Norfolk so he could get ashore and take charge of the Search.
He directed that all US and NATO Submarines in The Atlantic, except SSBNs on Deterrent Patrol, to SURFACE immediately so we could proceed at Flank Speed without regards to Lane or Area assignments. (We were the only Submerged friendly boat in the Atlantic.)
It was really hairy clearing baffles at Flank Speed to come up to communicate.
We dropped him off at the Sea Buoy and were assigned a search area inside the 100 Fathom Curve off Norfolk.
We did find a sunken WWII German Submarine, but that is another story!

I did have three friends lost on Scorpion.

Edited by SaltiDawg - 23 May 2021 at 10:00am
oldsubs View Drop Down
Neptune
Neptune

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oldsubs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2021 at 5:39pm
USS Sterlet (SS-392) arrived at Pearl Harbor on 29 May after a 7 month WesPac.  I departed the same day for two weeks leave and to get married.  The corpsman on USS Seadragon (SSN-584) was on Scorpion and as I read the newspaper reports of her loss I had thoughts of him.  Upon arriving in my fiance's home town I met her family for the first time.  Her father handed me the local paper that had the headline "Scorpion Lost" and said "is this what you do?"  I though of several witty answers but simply said "yes sir".  That was all that was said on the subject of my suitability for his daughter.  We were married on the 8th of June 1968, 53 years ago.  Not a year goes by that I don't think of how lucky I am, not only for the wonderful wife I have but of the incident that made the week a bit more solemn.  I finished my career on Scamp (SSN-588) and though of Scorpion often.

Be Well
Oldsubs
bflynn View Drop Down
Mess-Crank
Mess-Crank

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bflynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2021 at 2:49pm
My first chief on the Sculpin said that as a seaman, he was supposed to report to the Scorpion in '67, but caught the flu and was held back / reassigned to another boat.  

Being an old boat, we had systems which were modified because of Thresher and Scorpion, I remember drains in the MBT valves and a reroute of some ventilation.  I didn't understand the second one until recently when the information about a hydrogen explosion came out.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic