Rontini Submarine BBS Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > U.S. Submarine History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"The opinions posted here do not represent those of any company, organization, or group and are those only of the author of the respective post." - From Rontini

RontiniSubmarineBBS.com is proudly sponsored by Submarine Shop for Submariners. Your patronage helps support this BBS.

At Ron's direction, we have removed all forums that were not being actively posted to.

USS CATFISH (SS-339)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Mandelblatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: USS CATFISH (SS-339)
    Posted: 02 Apr 2022 at 8:23am
Given that today is the 40th anniversary of the Argentine invasion of the Falkland Islands and South Georgia, and one of the last combat deployments of ARA SANTA FE (S-21), ex USS CATFISH (SS-339) - SANTA FE put ashore a party of tactical navy divers from Yorke Bay, Port Stanley, I'm just trying to verify whether or not CATFISH had a crewman die aboard ship during its USN service. (I have the information somewhere, but given the fact that access to the US National Archives is somewhat problematic these days... and that my information is packed away in my home office somewhere)...

Edited by Jim Mandelblatt - 02 Apr 2022 at 8:23am
http://ss481.com/
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2022 at 11:37am
There was an Argentine Sailor shot to death while operating the BCP while the boat was in the Argentine Navy.
I could not find a record of a death while in US Service. Sorry

Edited by SaltiDawg - 02 Apr 2022 at 11:51am
Jim Mandelblatt View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Mandelblatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2022 at 1:05pm
I know about him.. Sub-oficial Primero Felix Artuso.. he was killed on 26 April (or maybe 27 April - I have to check my notes but there has been some debate which day the boat was shifted) 1982 during the shift of the boat from the pier at King Edward Point to the abandoned whaling jetty in Grytviken...
http://ss481.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic