Rontini Submarine BBS Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > U.S. Submarine Related
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"The opinions posted here do not represent those of any company, organization, or group and are those only of the author of the respective post." - From Rontini

RontiniSubmarineBBS.com is proudly sponsored by Submarine Shop for Submariners. Your patronage helps support this BBS.

At Ron's direction, we have removed all forums that were not being actively posted to.

Red Dolphins

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Red Dolphins
    Posted: 22 Jun 2022 at 9:00pm
Apparently, the PRECOM crew of SSN 796 USS New Jersey have managed to get authroized the wearing of red dolphins by qualified crew members. The USS New Jersey is nicknamed "Devilfish" ( it is not only the third USS New Jersey, it is also the third US Navy ship to be nicknamed Devilfish). 

Video here:

What do you think about this?

MT2/SS
USS Simon Bolivar - SSBN 641 (B)
USS Henry M. Jackson - SSBN 730 (B)
USSVI - Wyoming Base
GaryKC View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 1:02am
The only constant is change

SS484 SS426 SSBN618
Joined this BBS: May 25 2007
Website USS Tusk SS 426
Rontini599 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rontini599 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2022 at 8:48am
Wow!  
I have seen  cloissone (white pearlesent) worn by ladies in Groton who's submariner spouses were SS and even Black ones made from anthracite coal out of Pennsylvania.  But I would like to see the regulation on this. It might be just a Commissioning gimmick.  What color would the officers wear?
Frankly I don't like it.  

Edited by Rontini599 - 27 Jun 2022 at 8:51am
My heroes wear dog tags, not shoulder pads
gerry View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2022 at 9:58am
In the video, both officer and enlisted were the same color of red. Don't much care for the idea myself. It's called a 'uniform' for a reason. 
MT2/SS
USS Simon Bolivar - SSBN 641 (B)
USS Henry M. Jackson - SSBN 730 (B)
USSVI - Wyoming Base
c stafford View Drop Down
Old Salt
Old Salt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c stafford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2022 at 1:34pm
I an not really enthusiastic about the "pot metal" Dolphins they get now days.
I like the Sterling silver Dolphins from back in the good old days. Even the Yokosuka metal Dolphins looked better.
Chris
USS Barbel, MM2(SS)
USSVI Life
Blueback Base, Life
San Diego Base, Life
Holland Club
Rontini599 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rontini599 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2022 at 10:22am
I used to sell Sterling Silver dols.  They are .925% pure. The maker passed.  
Now the most common are pewter dolphins that look the closest to the Sterling.  Pewter is mostly tin with copper, lead added. Pot Metal is Lead with copper added.
The fleet wears the shiny dolphins that are chrome finished.  I don't think the active guys can wear the muted/pewter style, nor Yokosuka or Deep Wave typle. 
My heroes wear dog tags, not shoulder pads
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic