Rontini Submarine BBS Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > U.S. Submarine History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"The opinions posted here do not represent those of any company, organization, or group and are those only of the author of the respective post." - From Rontini

RontiniSubmarineBBS.com is proudly sponsored by Submarine Shop for Submariners. Your patronage helps support this BBS.

At Ron's direction, we have removed all forums that were not being actively posted to.

Old time famous Sub. School teacher

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rontini599 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Old time famous Sub. School teacher
    Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 3:53pm
Trying to find the name of a famous Teacher at Sub School way back.  I think he was a WWII Vet.  

My heroes wear dog tags, not shoulder pads
Flapper View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2022 at 9:45pm
Define 'way back', Ron. 
WW II era, 50s, 60s??
I can remember chat back in the early 2000s about a great instructor on one of these sub BBS sites, or possibly a Dex Armstrong story, but the name escapes me now. I tried searching a bit on line last night but no joy.
Maybe someone like Jim Christly could help.
- Bob
ET1ss Nuke; 1962 - 1973. SSN-588, CVA-63, SSBN-629 BLUE, SSN-669 PLANKOWNER, FICPAC
Rontini599 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rontini599 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2022 at 9:36am
I did check with Christley.  He did not know.  
ftg1ss View Drop Down
Old Salt
Old Salt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ftg1ss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2022 at 10:09am
Could you be thinking of ETCM(ss) Kuhn? He was the last man to wear the WWII Patrol pin and was the Submarine School Command Master Chief in 1977 when I was there and several shipmates who went to subscol in the early '80's also spoke of him when they were there. there was a write up about him, probably around 78 or so, maybe in All Hands Magazine, that stated that he required special authorization from congress to continue serving every two years.

Rontini599 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rontini599 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2022 at 8:53pm
No.   It was in the 50's or early 60's.  
Dantini View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dantini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 8:57am

Gil Raynor came up with the answer! Read the article!   Name was Charlie Spritz!

https://matthewsscorpion.org/2017/12/29/spritz-navy/

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic