Rontini Submarine BBS Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > U.S. Submarine Related
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"The opinions posted here do not represent those of any company, organization, or group and are those only of the author of the respective post." - From Rontini

RontiniSubmarineBBS.com is proudly sponsored by Submarine Shop for Submariners. Your patronage helps support this BBS.

At Ron's direction, we have removed all forums that were not being actively posted to.

'It was 20 Years Ago Today.....'

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue from West Oz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 'It was 20 Years Ago Today.....'
    Posted: 20 Feb 2024 at 9:52pm
Well, sorry but I missed it by a couple of days, but a post from Granddaddy Ralph Luther on Facebook about his Grandson turning 20 reminded me about one hell of a special event that took place in 2004.

That was my travelling around the USA for 9 weeks.

I was hosted by near on 30 wonderful guys from here, Don Gentry's and Ol'Goats BBS' and in some cases, along with their families.  

20 years has passed, and so unfortunately have a number of my hosts.  

I am still in contact with a few of you guys and some have just slipped on by, but, no matter who you are, you ALL hold a special place in my heart for that amazing time.  I recall flying out from NYC to London, UK to see my relatives and whilst sitting there on the runway I actually had a tear or two in my eyes because I was simply overwhelmed by the warmth and generosity shown to me by everyone.

I have been back a few more times, as some would know I caught up with a woman in 2006 from Illinois that I had met when on Deployment in 1985 and was looking at moving to the US to live but that fizzled out.  But since then I caught up with an Aussie girl who I had met in 1986, she was also in my Navy, a Medic, but had no interest in dating a 'Dirty filthy Submariner' I believe were her words...l  I wore that title with pride! ha ha  Anyway, fast forward 2012 we caught up and as I now shower twice a day, she succumbed to my charms and we married in Vegas with none other than Elvis....okay, not 'that' Elvis perhaps. ;-)

My last trip to the US was in 2016, I have hoped to have returned by now but my wife wants to explore 'new countries'.....hopefully sooner rather than later, 'we shall return'.

A number of times I have been close to where some of you live, but due to being busy, haven't made it to see you, even just for a drink, my apologies, there has been no slight intended.

Anyway, just wanted to update and thank those that are still around the BBS' for their hospitality back then, and as always, the door is open if you should ever come to Perth.

Unfortunately Ray Stone ( Ol'Goat ) is no longer with us, but I owe a great deal of gratitude to Ron and Don, for who it was all possible in the first place with their websites....many, many thanks!

All the very best.....Blue  *_*
Rontini599 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rontini599 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2024 at 12:14pm
I remember the day 4 guys showed up at my home in Wyoming.  Blue, Doc, Roy and the 4th?  3 bikes and a truck.  
My wife would not come out and didn't want anything to do with those "dirty, filthy submariners."  LOL
I only wish I could have put you up for the night.  
My wife and I were married in 1965 (or 39 years when you came through.  She passed 5 years back now.  Home town girl.  I now have two children, 5 grandchildren and 2 great-grandchildren.  
Take care BLUE!
My heroes wear dog tags, not shoulder pads
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic