Rontini Submarine BBS Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > U.S. Submarine Related
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"The opinions posted here do not represent those of any company, organization, or group and are those only of the author of the respective post." - From Rontini

RontiniSubmarineBBS.com is proudly sponsored by Submarine Shop for Submariners. Your patronage helps support this BBS.

At Ron's direction, we have removed all forums that were not being actively posted to.

Three Blasts on Diving Alarm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
FTGC(SS) Lane View Drop Down
Old Salt
Old Salt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FTGC(SS) Lane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Three Blasts on Diving Alarm
    Posted: 02 Feb 2016 at 12:47pm
What have we learned?

Sometime before Jan 1971 Subscol started teaching that 3 blasts of diving alarm was for emergency surface (Subscol taught 640 class at that time).
Based on the SSORMs prior to May 1971 west coast 637 class boats and by March 1974 east coast 640 class boats were not sounding three blasts for normal surfacing.

Can everyone accept that?

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2016 at 11:54am
Huh? Every surface was handled like an Emergency Surface. Then if we really needed to do one we knew how.

AtoZ
GaryKC View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2016 at 10:17am
Fine kettle of fish you've gotten us into. Seems all those who swear the klaxon sounded 3 times before surfacing...every time.....didn't have ANY klaxon alarm soundings for an EMERGENCY SURFACE????
SS484 SS426 SSBN618
Joined this BBS: May 25 2007
Website USS Tusk SS 426
610ET View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 610ET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2016 at 9:46am
I spoke with my dad about this. He said that all of his boats sounded the Klaxon three times before surfacing. 

Over the course of his 30 year career he was on multiple boats. He was a plankowner on Tirante and made her war patrols.

After the war he was on Greenfish, Grouper, Burrfish, Barb and Odax.

In 1958 he was in the first group of SCPO/MCPO promotes. In 1959 he went to the pre-commissioning crew of SSBN 598 as QMCS(SS) and then COB. He left in 1960 when he was promoted to LDO Ensign.

After 1960 he was not on another submarine so his reference time is 1943-1960.

The remainder of his career was to assignments to recommission Proteus and commission Canopus along with two tours at Subschool, Groton.

He retired as a LCDR in 1973.

Dad is now 90 but still sharp.

Dr. Stan View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Stan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2016 at 3:13pm
When I was on the Queenfish (SS-393) I would have been on either the bow or stern planes when we surfaced.  When we surfaced on the nukes I would have been found either in the crews mess or AMR2 sipping coffee in the throes of channel fever because surfacing meant we were coming in off of patrol and were nearing the Firth of Clyde.  And somebody was going to enjoy liberty at the rag hat club in Ardnadam, or in Dunoon, that night.  So, no matter what was said in Control during a surface maneuver I wasn't there to hear it.  I heard only what came over the 1MC.  And the klaxon, of course.

It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues.~Abe Lincoln
SS-393, SSBN-610(B), SSBN-624(G), SSN-591
USSVI Life Member; Holland Club; Plank Owner, Smoky Mtn. Base
Runner485 View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runner485 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2016 at 5:04am
I can see you nucs are confused. I can understand that, since you only surfaced once in a while and more than likely forgot how to do it, so it probably didn't matter how you did it. Generally, smokeboats surfaced every night to charge our batteries, so we remembered how to do it or we would snorkel. That's almost surfacing. Clap
DBF
Joe
SS485,CVA42
Holland Club
Mid-Atlantic Base
Dantini View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dantini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 7:26pm
610 ET,

I am more inclined to believe the responses from former COW/DOW's posts stating the actual voice communications transferred between the Dive Officer and the COW/DOW who actually would have sounded the diving/surfacing alarm rather than  the recollections of Nav ETs who basically just wrote love notes to each other on the Plexiglas plotting boards.  Just saying.
610ET View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 610ET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by FTGC(SS) Lane FTGC(SS) Lane wrote:

Originally posted by 610ET 610ET wrote:

I was in Control for every dive and surface and I can assure you that both things happened and that there is no confusion on my part.

Well that is not had to do when a boat only does two dives and two surfaces a patrol cycle. Shoot I did six (three and three) in 17 months aboard the 642. But I did far more than that qualifying for and in my first three months standing COW. And I am not sure how many I did in combination of the two watches over 6 years.
"Dive, prepare to surface"
"Prepare to surface, aye" "Chief of the watch, pass on the 1MC 'prepare to surface'"
"Pass on the 1MC 'prepare to surface, aye' [on 1MC] "Prepare to surface" ... "Dive the ship is ready to surface"
"The ship is ready to surface, Aye". "Officer of the Deck, the ship is ready to surface"
"Very well" ... Dive, Surface the ship"
"Surface the ship, aye" "Chief of the Watch, pass on the 1MC 'Surface, Surface, Surface'"
"Pass on the 1MC 'Surface, Surface, Surface', aye" [on 1MC] "Surface, Surface, Surface"
"Blow the forward group, blow the after group"
{The last part is different when doing an airless surface}

Actually we did a lot more evolution's than that particularly coming out of the shipyard. But, so what the number?

The surfacing procedure on my boat was what I stated and apparently that was also true on on other boats as stated by others.

Interesting that there was not uniformity in the procedure.

610ET View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 610ET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by SaltiDawg SaltiDawg wrote:

Originally posted by 610ET 610ET wrote:

I'm sure he just meant that both things happened.

I was in Control for every dive and surface and I can assure you that both things happened and that there is no confusion on my part.

Why not just enjoy your book? It doesn't seem likely that this little detail will affect the plot or outcome.

Watch the Hunt for Red October or Crimson Tide if you want your head to really explode.

Are you  flippin loony? I never accused him of any "confusion." I never addressed him, as I tend to ignore his posts because of reasons best kept to myself.

The last GD thing I need is for you to tell me " this little detail will (not)  affect the plot or outcome."  Go back and read the thread from my original post.. I was enjoying myself and I think some others were too. I never asked what the proper sequence was in the book I am reading - I know that answer.  I mentioned I had seen the usage in a few other books and asked for recollections to help sort that out.

As to "I'm sure he just meant that both things happened."  The very purpose of this thread was to discuss the sequence of events.  Also, while I missed it earlier in the thread - I told you I generally don't read Steve's threads - he made the identical assertion about the sequence and also made an assertion that diesel boats didn't airless surface.  That is flat-butted wrong.

We fought a war in the Pacific where most every surface while on patrol were airless surfaces.  Think wanted to have air in the banks when that plane came swooping down after surfacing and think not wanting to run the air compressor nor make the noise when surfacing for that night time surfaced torpedo attack.  Also, many NLON school boats made numerous airless surfaces because they would otherwise air bank be limited as to continued submerged Ops and surfacing.

I was on a Diesel Boat in Key West doing daily ops for Sonar School.  We ALWAYS did airless surfaces on the way home so the Duty Section didn't have to have to do it.

Boats without bow planes and boats with smaller MBT Vents generally have a lot of trouble doing airless surfaces, because I'm sure you know, part of the airless surface process is to run with the vents and try to broach at speed using planes and angle and capture a bubble in the forward MBTs.  Come to think of it, what kind of boat has bow planes and disproportionately large vents?

I don't think I've stuck my nose into any of your threads with a cheap shot, don't know why you think its OK.

I was enjoying this thread - just hate to see misinformation and snide shots at young nukeypoo types and similar.

I'm 8-9 years younger than Steve and I honestly have no idea how much time he spent on the boats.  His posted recollection is from over 60 years ago and I typically can't recollect what I had for breakfast this morning.  More power to him!

Final thing, before I fade off into the sunset, read my post above.  While I did suggest that some of us may be confused, I did not even offer an opinion as to what the sequence of announcement/alarms actually was.  I still don't know.  Some DBFs told conflicting stories.  Some Boomers did also.  I'm not even sure if the SSNs were all consistent.

Thanks for the movie suggestions.  SPOILER ALERT:  They're both fiction.

Are you having a bad day? You specifically said that some of us were confused and then you qualified whose recollection you would find valid.

You are welcome to your opinion and if you want to make this a VERY IMPORTANT issue you are welcome to do that as well.

I merely suggested that you enjoy the book.

BTW it seemed to me that the purpose of this thread was not to discuss the sequence of events but rather what events actually happened.

Also I'm pretty sure that you didn't fight the war in the Pacific so I don't understand why you feel that is relevant?

My dad did make war patrols so I will ask him about this although that won't change what the procedure was on the boat that I made six patrols on plus numerous certification evolution s coming out of overhaul.

Take a deep breath.
FTGC(SS) Lane View Drop Down
Old Salt
Old Salt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FTGC(SS) Lane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by SaltiDawg SaltiDawg wrote:

Boats without bow planes and boats with smaller MBT Vents generally have a lot of trouble doing airless surfaces,

We started doing airless surfaces on the 648 about 1981 and the 666 was doing it when I reported aboard . It was easy. Broach. Start the LP blower when holding broach and the head valve popped open and ran it until 17# back pressure. The boat was actually safely surfaced before that back pressure was achieved.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic