Rontini Submarine BBS Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Non-Submarine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"The opinions posted here do not represent those of any company, organization, or group and are those only of the author of the respective post." - From Rontini

Wanna restart your heart?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sewer Pipe Snipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wanna restart your heart?
    Posted: 04 Aug 2016 at 6:59am
I live in a sub-division of one acre lots. I have been here since 1979. I have actually shot deer out of my front yard, but now it is all houses. My dogs have a water trough they use to cool off. I dump it every day to avoid mosquitoes. This morning I go out and raise one side of the trough to dump the water. The Copperhead was probably as scared as I was. I dropped the tub, but by the time I returned with a weapon, the snake was gone. Did give my heart a good jolt as my sandled feet were all of inches away from the head. The monitor shows my blood pressure is fine, but I don't feel that way.
Walt,
Had I done everything right throughout my life, the World wouldn't have noticed.
Dr. Stan View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Stan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2016 at 3:04pm
Walt, I wouldn't bet on that Copperhead being frightened of you.  They can be quite aggressive.  There were lots of them in Missouri when I lived there and if you came up on one he might run or, as was usually the case, he might coil up and prepare to strike at you.  I've seen that more often than not.  And, sometimes they travel in pairs.  I have seen that, also.  So, be careful.

It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues.~Abe Lincoln
SS-393, SSBN-610(B), SSBN-624(G), SSN-591
USSVI Life Member; Holland Club; Plank Owner, Smoky Mtn. Base
Sewer Pipe Snipe View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sewer Pipe Snipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2016 at 4:14pm
Update:
Skag Mower 1 Copperhead 0. Buried the head and most of the parts where the dogs can't get at it.
Walt,
Had I done everything right throughout my life, the World wouldn't have noticed.
gerry View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2016 at 6:19pm
Good for you, Walt! I know snakes have a place in the ecosystem and God's creatures etc. but... suffer not a snake to live. For me, spiders are a close second.
MT2/SS
USS Simon Bolivar - SSBN 641 (B)
USS Henry M. Jackson - SSBN 730 (B)
USSVI - Wyoming Base
gerry View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2016 at 6:22pm
Actually, this brought back an old memory... moored at the Naval Weapons Station, Charleston at the weapons handling pier. Had to take trash topside, about midnight. Wondered why the aft MC hatch was secured. Asked the topside watch on my way to the brow... water moccasins. Cold blooded animal, warm submarine, night, both boat and snake black... no one wanted to the math. We had to wash them out of the turtleback before doing muzzle hatch work. Never did much like that moorage. 
MT2/SS
USS Simon Bolivar - SSBN 641 (B)
USS Henry M. Jackson - SSBN 730 (B)
USSVI - Wyoming Base
Dr. Stan View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Stan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2016 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by gerry gerry wrote:

... water moccasins.  We had to wash them out of the turtleback before doing muzzle hatch work. Never did much like that moorage.

Nor would I like that moorage.  Water moccasins are even more aggressive than copper heads.  They've been known to crawl into your boat while you are fishing.  I heard a story from a local that a guy somehow fell out of his boat into a bunch of water moccasins while fishing on the Withlacoochee River in Citrus County, FL.  When they pulled his lifeless body from the river it was covered with snake bites from the water moccasins.  I wouldn't swear the story is true, but . . . ??  At any rate, spiders, not so bad — but, venomous snakes, very bad.
It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues.~Abe Lincoln
Tom McNulty View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom McNulty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2016 at 10:31pm
So I now see how lucky 2 of our TMs were. Tied up to them same Weapons Pier when both TMs decided to go night frog hunting. They got lost in the swamp and didn't find their way back to the boat until first light. By the way, the cook refused to cook frog legs. Also shows just how evil tasting TMs must be.
SSBN599B,SSBN600B,SSBN611G
USNR Beaumont, TX,
USSVI Life Member
Mid Atlantic Base
Holland Club
Runner485 View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runner485 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 10:50am
I don't know if water moccosins are also called cotton mouths. But one of our Torsk Bandits grew up in Georgia and told us how he hated cotton mouths. He said they were aggressive as hell and would cross a road to get at you...Don't know how true that is, but it's enough to keep me from hiking down a Georgia road any time soon, or ever!
DBF
Joe
SS485,CVA42
Holland Club
Mid-Atlantic Base
Sewer Pipe Snipe View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sewer Pipe Snipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 11:20am
What you were told about is a breeding ball of snakes. Every place in the South has a different story of someone falling into a ball and dying. I have never found anyone with first hand knowledge. The only one I know for sure was on Wamba Creek below the Santee-Cooper Dam in South Carolina. An individual spotted a ball of snakes. Returned with Explosives to kill all the snakes. Apparently there were snake parts flying everywhere. A few hours later he had what looked like an infected thorn in his arm. It was a snake fang and the poison was having a slight effect when he got to a Doc. Heard that from a long time warden in the area.
Walt,
Dr. Stan View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Stan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 11:59am
Originally posted by Runner485 Runner485 wrote:

I don't know if water moccosins are also called cotton mouths. But one of our Torsk Bandits grew up in Georgia and told us how he hated cotton mouths. He said they were aggressive as hell and would cross a road to get at you...Don't know how true that is, but it's enough to keep me from hiking down a Georgia road any time soon, or ever!

Here ya go, Joe:

Facts About Water Moccasin (Cottonmouth) Snakes

http://www.livescience.com/43597-facts-about-water-moccasin-cottonmouth-snakes.html

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic