Rontini Submarine BBS Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Navy & Other Military Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"The opinions posted here do not represent those of any company, organization, or group and are those only of the author of the respective post." - From Rontini

Navy Planes can't fly

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fortyrod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Navy Planes can't fly
    Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 6:20am
Everything is relative
Sewer Pipe Snipe View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sewer Pipe Snipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 6:39am
It boils down to funding availability. I have a friend that bought and makes large payments on a Corvette. He never gets it serviced because he doesn't currently have the money. Doesn't make sense to me, but apparently it does to him.
Walt,
Had I done everything right throughout my life, the World wouldn't have noticed.
Dr. Stan View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Stan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 1:42pm
Lack of funds, indeed!!!  Our military has been "contained and degraded" to the extent that their effectiveness has fallen to pre-WWII levels.  Not only is the USA unable to  respond to threats in 2 theaters simultaneously there is some doubt that they could respond to a single major threat that a country such as China could pose.  Those of us who are intellectually honest know whom to blame for the abysmal state of our military, but, since politics are verboten, I will stop at this point.  

Originally posted by Defense News Defense News wrote:

Overhauls – “availabilities” in Navy parlance – are being cancelled or deferred, and when ships do come in they need longer to refit. Every carrier overall for at least three years has run long, and some submarines are out of service for prolonged periods, as much as four years or more. One submarine, the Boise, has lost its diving certification and can’t operate pending shipyard work, and leaders claim that if more money doesn’t become available five more will be in the same state by the end of this year.

The Navy can’t get money to move around service members and their families to change assignments, and about $440 million is needed to pay sailors. And the service claims 15 percent of its shore facilities are in failed condition – awaiting repair, replacement or demolition.

It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues.~Abe Lincoln
SS-393, SSBN-610(B), SSBN-624(G), SSN-591
USSVI Life Member; Holland Club; Plank Owner, Smoky Mtn. Base
stretch View Drop Down
Mess-Crank
Mess-Crank

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stretch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2017 at 7:36pm
Sounds like the old USSR
Be true to yourself
Holland Club
Bremerton Base
atozdbf View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atozdbf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 2:26pm
I've read, either here or on that other BBS, that VA class boats are requiring much more yard time for maintenance than the LA class.

Anybody wanna verify or deny this, or we should just forget that we read it.

AtoZ

Age and Treachery
Will Always Prevail
Over Youth and Vigor
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic