Rontini Submarine BBS Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Submarine humor/sea stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"The opinions posted here do not represent those of any company, organization, or group and are those only of the author of the respective post." - From Rontini

RontiniSubmarineBBS.com is proudly sponsored by SubmarineShop.com (and on Facebooks at: https://www.facebook.com/ss4submariners/). Your patronage helps support this BBS.

Nuke knowledge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sewer Pipe Snipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nuke knowledge
    Posted: 07 Aug 2019 at 9:16am
How many Nukes does it take to change out a light bulb? I don't know because I haven't read the last manuals referenced revisions since we got back in from patrol. However, the one thing I know is the manuals, procedures and required paperwork will far exceed the weight of however many it now takes. 
Walt,
Had I done everything right throughout my life, the World wouldn't have noticed.
Tom McNulty View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom McNulty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2019 at 10:04am
One on each end of the tube and an LPO to supervise.

SSBN599B,SSBN600B,SSBN611G
USNR Beaumont, TX,
USSVI Life Member
Mid Atlantic Base
Holland Club
Runner485 View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runner485 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2019 at 12:27pm

It that a Polish joke?? LOL
DBF
Joe
SS485,CVA42
Holland Club
Mid-Atlantic Base
Dr. Stan View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Stan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2019 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by Sewer Pipe Snipe Sewer Pipe Snipe wrote:

How many Nukes does it take to change out a light bulb?

The answer is . . . seven (7).  One nuke to obtain the required new part, in this case, a light bulb. One to remove the old bulb.  One to screw in the new bulb.  (In conditions of extremis, the screwing out and screwing in of the old and new bulbs can be accomplished by one individual.)  One nuke to dispose of the old bulb.  One nuke to hold the RPM and read the directions within to the bulb handler(s).  One nuke to run coffee and, finally, one HNIC (Head Nuke In Charge) to supervise all of the other nukes.

It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues.~Abe Lincoln
SS-393, SSBN-610(B), SSBN-624(G), SSN-591
USSVI Life Member; Holland Club; Plank Owner, Smoky Mtn. Base
Bgurls View Drop Down
Former CO's
Former CO's

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bgurls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2019 at 8:34am
1960 the RPM was 2 1/2 inches thick.  In 1994 it was 7 volumes.

SSR269,SS580(CO),SS582(XO),SSBN634,SSBN619,AS18(XO),SUBASE PH(XO),SUBSCHOOL(XO),SUBPAC(FLAG SEC),PERS42(DETAILER), CSS1(Chief Staff Officer)DAV(Life Member)VFW(Life Member)
JrKrup, Skimmer View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JrKrup, Skimmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2019 at 1:02pm
Actually it takes eleven. Besides all the above, four more to pick up the one holding the bulb, and turn him round and round - hopefully in the right direction.
Jon Krup, Skimmer - Minesweeps
gerry View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2019 at 4:07pm
You guys... you all forgot one nuke to do the QA paperwork and document the parts and procedure, and one nuke to do the SUBSAFE inspection.  Slackers.
MT2/SS
USS Simon Bolivar - SSBN 641 (B)
USS Henry M. Jackson - SSBN 730 (B)
USSVI - Wyoming Base
oldsubs View Drop Down
Neptune
Neptune

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsubs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 11:39am
I was a nuclear trained (nuc) Senior Chief Electrician.  I realize that having retired some 37 years ago that my memory may be a bit misty but as I recall that on my boat, it only took two nucs to change a light bulb.  And a phone call.

For example, I, being an observant leader of the Electrical Division's men, saw a light bulb needed changed on my submarine, picked up the phone and announced to the on watch Electrical Operator that a particular light bulb needed to be changed. Lo and behold that bulb got changed. 

See....Two....Me---phone call----who ever ------ zingo!!! Light bulb changed.  Simplicity personified. 

Be Well
Oldsubs
oldsubs View Drop Down
Neptune
Neptune

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldsubs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 11:42am
As I recall being a junior E-Division member on a diesel boat it only took two to do lighting changes.  One to carry the kerosene bucket and another to trim the wick. 
Be Well
Oldsubs
Sewer Pipe Snipe View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sewer Pipe Snipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2019 at 11:54am
Let me get this straight. The EPCP or the Throttleman changed light bulbs while on watch? Or was there another watch the Junior EM's stood on your boat? 
Walt,
Had I done everything right throughout my life, the World wouldn't have noticed.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic