Rontini Submarine BBS Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > U.S. Submarine Related
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"The opinions posted here do not represent those of any company, organization, or group and are those only of the author of the respective post." - From Rontini

RontiniSubmarineBBS.com is proudly sponsored by Submarine Shop for Submariners. Your patronage helps support this BBS.

At Ron's direction, we have removed all forums that were not being actively posted to.

Rickover Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 1:44pm
Paul,

I really don't remember.  I had a Classmate that was a Rhodes Scholar - Ron Bancroft - but I do not believe it was him...

Jerry
Runner485 View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runner485 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 1:59pm
I served with an academy jg who was interviwed by the KOG back in ( I think) in late 61 or '62. I don't know what happened, but later in his career he came back to SubRon6 to Captain the Grampus and retired as a 4 striper. His father was a rear admiral when he retired which surprised me that Mike didn't make a rear admiral too. I realize one has nothing to do with the other, but I did find it strange, much later, when I found out at a reunion.
DBF
Joe
SS485,CVA42
Holland Club
Mid-Atlantic Base
610ET View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 610ET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2016 at 4:23pm
On 610B we had two NEESEP officers who weren't nukes. There was a career path to go to the Weapons/Operation Departments. Depending on how long they had been enlisted their terminal grade was O3/O4 if they were only doing 20 years.

One of them served two years on SS right after commissioning then came to 610. He later went to 640 as NAV and then commanded ARD 5 as LCDR. Total service was 21 years.

I wonder if as non-nukes but on a nuke boat they would have been interviewed by Rickover?
Palm Bay Ken View Drop Down
Mustang
Mustang

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Palm Bay Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2016 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by 610ET 610ET wrote:

On 610B we had two NEESEP officers who weren't nukes. 
I wonder if as non-nukes but on a nuke boat they would have been interviewed by Rickover?

I served as Weapons Officer in Seadragon (SSN584) as a non-nuke in 79/81. I had been an RO before NESEP.  When I got message orders from Gudgeon to Seadragon, they were to the SS584. I was later told that ALL message traffic with SSN in the address was routed to the KOG.
Ken Wiltshire
K4HBE
SS-206/SS-523/S1C/SSN-578/Ole Miss(NESEP)/DLG-14/SS-563/SS-567/SSN-584/CSS6/NavSafCen/
York County Public Schools/Virginia Beach City Public Schools/Retired
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2016 at 7:14pm

No.  Some Non-Nuke billets elsewhere were subject to review by the KOG.  Repair Boss on a Tender, for example.

610ET View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 610ET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2016 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by SaltiDawg SaltiDawg wrote:

No.  Some Non-Nuke billets elsewhere were subject to review by the KOG.  Repair Boss on a Tender, for example.

Would that officer have to appear for the review?
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2016 at 6:47am
Some NESEP Officers, including at least some that had been Nuke Enlisteds, applied for Nuclear Power and were therefore interviewed by the KOG.  Bill Forrester (Frosty) was a NESEP Nuke Enlisted and then accepted as a Nuke Officer.  He was lost with Scorpion.  I am aware of a couple of other NESEPs that were Officer Nukes.

Someone else might know if ALL NUKE Enlisteds in NESEP were automatially required to be interviewed.  I don't know. Same for Sub Qualified enlisted NESEPs, I don't know if they were automatically considered to have volunteered for Submarines as an Officer.

Edited by SaltiDawg - 11 May 2016 at 6:51am
Palm Bay Ken View Drop Down
Mustang
Mustang

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Palm Bay Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2016 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by SaltiDawg SaltiDawg wrote:

Someone else might know if ALL NUKE Enlisteds in NESEP were automatially required to be interviewed.  I don't know. Same for Sub Qualified enlisted NESEPs, I don't know if they were automatically considered to have volunteered for Submarines as an Officer.
I had been an RO before NESEP. ETC(SS) prior to OCS. Never a murmur about seeing the KOG. Asked for Subs after commissioning, but told I was too old and spent 2 years as MPA/Assistant ENG on a DLG. Then the SS detailer called and practically begged me to come back to the boats. This was in '67. Served in Tang & Gudgeon, and then got orders to Seadragon as WEPS. After a tour on CSS6 Staff, fast forward to '75. I was at the Safety Center in Norfolk and got the call that I was going to be WEPS on the Ohio. Put in my papers that afternoon and retired on 12/1/75.
Met the KOG one time in '66. Lived across the street from his nephew in Norfolk when the KOG visited him. The nephew didn't mention that I was navy, and neither did I.
Ken Wiltshire
K4HBE
SS-206/SS-523/S1C/SSN-578/Ole Miss(NESEP)/DLG-14/SS-563/SS-567/SSN-584/CSS6/NavSafCen/
York County Public Schools/Virginia Beach City Public Schools/Retired
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic