Rontini Submarine BBS Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > U.S. Submarine Related
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"The opinions posted here do not represent those of any company, organization, or group and are those only of the author of the respective post." - From Rontini

RontiniSubmarineBBS.com is proudly sponsored by Submarine Shop for Submariners. Your patronage helps support this BBS.

At Ron's direction, we have removed all forums that were not being actively posted to.

Gardens on submarines

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
BBS Owner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rontini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gardens on submarines
    Posted: 05 Jul 2016 at 8:56am
Fresh Salad At Sea: Military Considers Gardens Aboard Subs

Jennifer Mcdermott, Associated Press, July 5

NATICK, Mass.— When a Navy submarine goes to sea on a months-long voyage, the lettuce, tomatoes and other fresh fruits and vegetables on board run out in a week or two, forcing the crew to rely on canned, frozen or dehydrated products. But what if subs had their own gardens where food could be grown under lights?

The U.S. military is testing out the idea by growing plants hydroponically — that is, with nutrient solution instead of soil — inside a 40-foot shipping container on dry land at a laboratory outside Boston.
Engineering technician Don Holman, who grew up on a farm in Michigan before serving 30 years in the Navy, is running the $100,000 project at the Army's Natick Soldier Research, Development and Engineering Center. He said sailors have been asking for more produce. "When you give someone something they want, it improves their morale. And they perform better when morale is up,"  said Holman, who will present a technical report in September so the Navy can decide whether to attempt
gardening beneath the sea.

This is the second phase of the testing. Holman first tried to grow 83 varieties of fruits and vegetables to see which ones did best. The leafy greens and green onions thrived. Root vegetables did fairly well. Strawberries and rhubarb grew but probably wouldn't produce enough to make it worthwhile, Holman said. The cucumbers, on the other hand, were a mess. The vines climbed everywhere. And the large leaves on the zucchini plants blocked the lights. The tomato plants grew but didn't produce fruit because the lighting wasn't bright enough and the temperature was too low.
Every increase in government authority is a decrease of the liberty of each citizen.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2016 at 10:54am
In today's environment of grow it - smoke it I gotta hunch as to what else would be planted if this project works and moves on to sea.

AtoZ
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2016 at 11:12am
On a trip we never took any fresh food EDIT: refrigerated food other than what would be eaten the day we got underway.  No fresh milk other than in the machine.  All freeze box stuff and store room and deck plate stowage.

Edited by SaltiDawg - 05 Jul 2016 at 12:27pm
FTGC(SS) Lane View Drop Down
Old Salt
Old Salt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FTGC(SS) Lane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2016 at 11:44am
Originally posted by SaltiDawg SaltiDawg wrote:

On a trip we never took any fresh food other than what would be eaten the day we got underway. 

You never took potatoes, carrots or eggs?
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2016 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by FTGC(SS) Lane FTGC(SS) Lane wrote:

On a trip we never took any fresh food other than what would be eaten the day we got underway. 

You never took potatoes, carrots or eggs?

I said no "fresh" food. I should have said no "refrigerated" food.  Sorry.

No chill box on a "trip." - three SSNs. Always converted the reefer to a freeze box prior.

Took eggs.  Stowed in Diesel Room in the Bow Cmpt. on at least two of the three 637s.  After 60+ days the eggs were mostly still good.  Occasional bad one.  Thus the notion of breaking them individually into  bowl.

Candidly, I don't remember about potatoes. But certainly not refrigerated.  Smile

Edited by SaltiDawg - 05 Jul 2016 at 12:28pm
gcconnor1 View Drop Down
Old Salt
Old Salt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcconnor1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2016 at 2:55pm
Do I remember that the eggs were coated with wax or something to keep the air from getting
through the shell and spoiling the egg????
GC Connor EMC(SS)/LT USN Ret
USS Ethan Allen(7)
Holland Club WA2STJ
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2016 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by gcconnor1 gcconnor1 wrote:

Do I remember that the eggs were coated with wax or something to keep the air from getting
through the shell and spoiling the egg????

Not washing eggs allows them to stay fresh longer.  Our eggs were still in the crates - only nature's coating. (Or however they are routinely shipped.)

Edited by SaltiDawg - 05 Jul 2016 at 3:30pm
Tom McNulty View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom McNulty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2016 at 3:39pm
I had always heard that they were wax coated. Might have been a rumor but they did look shiny.
SSBN599B,SSBN600B,SSBN611G
USNR Beaumont, TX,
USSVI Life Member
Mid Atlantic Base
Holland Club
FTGC(SS) Lane View Drop Down
Old Salt
Old Salt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FTGC(SS) Lane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2016 at 3:58pm

Snuck up on ya! Wink
On two Pascagoula built boats the bench lockers at the six man tables were set up for potatoes. The funny thing is I can't remember if my last boat, a Mare Island one, was like that.
Eggs in the diesel. Ordered eggs over hard every breakfast. When  I got scrambled I knew the next breakfast would have to be pancakes.

Now back to the garden thing. I wonder have they considered how clean the atmosphere is while underway and how that might affect the results?
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2016 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by FTGC(SS) Lane FTGC(SS) Lane wrote:

Snuck up on ya! Wink
... Ordered eggs over hard every breakfast. When  I got scrambled I knew the next breakfast would have to be pancakes.

We always joked when on a Trip that "Commence Snorkeling" would have resulted in us eating nothing but eggs for a day or two.

Funny, I remember where A Gang stowed a case of Kim Wipes on Trepang.  Discovered it while Snorkeling along side the pier in Ft Lauderdale.  No Shore Power, Reactor Shutdown. I was the ONLY Officer on Board.

A Gang stowed them on top of the Diesel Exhaust.  !@#$%.  (Think Heavy Acrid Smoke and Fire In The Bow Compartment.)  Lots of tales to tell about that hour or so.

Glad the KOG nor NR nor anyone but us Duty Section was there... Nuke and Non-nuke.

Edited by SaltiDawg - 05 Jul 2016 at 5:18pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic