Rontini Submarine BBS Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > U.S. Submarine Related
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"The opinions posted here do not represent those of any company, organization, or group and are those only of the author of the respective post." - From Rontini

RontiniSubmarineBBS.com is proudly sponsored by Submarine Shop for Submariners. Your patronage helps support this BBS.

At Ron's direction, we have removed all forums that were not being actively posted to.

USS Delaware Crew

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runner485 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: USS Delaware Crew
    Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 7:28am

We had the priviledge to have a visit with some of the crew from the Delaware at last Saturdays meeting. I was able to have a chat with the COB who has 22 years in and is younger then my youngest son, damn. Anyway we had the COB and 4 other crew there...1 -1st class cook, and the rest of the guys were E4's. An interesting aside was one of the men was an MM nuke rated and was with his girlfriend who was also a nuke rated MM stationed on a carrier. Everyone intro'd themselves with a little bio about their jobs. The COB gave a little talk about the upcoming commissioning which will probably be held in Norfolk, Va. but that may change...Nothing definite yet.
I told him of my feeling that the 688 and the Seawolf class had a lot less "people room" then my tench class boat or so it seemed to me. He replied the Virginia class has even less people room since they moved much of the outboard stuff about a foot in from the hull, giving them less room. He explained how they qualify the guys out of BESS. They got about 80 new unqualed sailors. No one wants to go to sea with 80 unqualed crew aboard he said, so they ship them TAD to other boats for qualifications.I did think the crew size of 135 was a bit large though for the class. Did the 688's have a crew that big too???
An interesting visit for sure...
DBF
Joe
SS485,CVA42
Holland Club
Mid-Atlantic Base
FTGC(SS) Lane View Drop Down
Old Salt
Old Salt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FTGC(SS) Lane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 9:58am
The LA class had birthing for 110 officer and enlisted. The VA class has birthing for 132. I do not know why the increase because I cannot figure out where there is an increase in the number of watch stations. I can only come up with 75 manned watches. Then there are 13 more non watch standers (cooks, Doc, supply and office). They did not put the crew in 4 section because they stand 8 hour watches. So what are those other 29 enlisted doing?
I am basing this on what we had on 637 boats. We did have a need of 6 more watch standers in the ship's control party. We had birthing for 95 enlisted and watch stations for 95 enlisted. We were assigned 120 enlisted based on PM requirements. For example the Fire Control division only needed 3 watch standers but PM requirements were for 6 people.
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 10:56am
LA Crew Size is 16 + 127 = 143 soles.  110 bunks sounds grim!
Old Salt
Old Salt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FTGC(SS) Lane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 2:25pm
I went looking for manning requirements of the VA Class boats and found this:

Reduced Watchstation Manning

Virginia’s new capabilities have not required any additional crew. In fact, a thorough re-engineering of the ship’s functionality, manpower requirements, and billet structure has enabled the reduction of 15 crew watchstanders in comparison to Seawolf. The key to this greater efficiency has been technology insertion, particularly for automating tasks and handling information, and Virginia’s modular design will facilitate even further reductions as new technologies become available. Typical efficiencies are found in the following areas:

• Ship Control Station: Virginia’s digital “fly-by-wire” advanced ship control station will be operated by a Pilot, Copilot, and a Relief Pilot. These three watchstanders replace the customary Diving Officer, Chief of the Watch, Helmsman, Planesman, and Messenger needed on previous submarine classes.
  • Navigation - Quartermaster Watch- station: The increased use of automation, such as electronic charting, allows combining the duties of the Navigation Electronics Technician and the Quartermaster of the Watch into those of a single Navigation Watchstander.
  • Throttleman – Reactor Operator Watchstation: Increased use of technology and automation allows the Reactor Operator also to perform the duties of the Throttleman while carrying out his current responsibilities.
  • Auxiliaryman Aft Watchstation: The relative simplicity and innovative automation of Virginia’s engineroom will allow engineroom personnel to monitor installed auxiliary equipment, thus eliminating the Auxiliaryman Aft watchstation.
  • Torpedo Room Watch: Automated systems and tours by other watchstanders allow the elimination of the Torpedo Room watchstander.
sailor777 View Drop Down
Old Salt
Old Salt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sailor777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 5:13pm
torp room needs a watch stander, in port and at sea, esp. for special weapons. many time as duty chief, I had to split inspection and check in every four hours etc.  split with duty office so each one of us would be there every two hours.
kind of makes the above requirements a little questionable??

spc, usn, ret.
SPC
Old Salt
Old Salt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FTGC(SS) Lane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 8:37pm
It is no longer a requirement for the inport room watch.
Runner485 View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runner485 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 8:21am
Based on everything you guys responded to, could it be that the 135 number the COB gave me was the fact that they are a PCU crew? He didn't mention the crew size after commissioning, so I just assumed the number remained the same. 
DBF
Joe
SS485,CVA42
Holland Club
Mid-Atlantic Base
Jim Mandelblatt View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Mandelblatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 11:51am
Hey Joe.. gotta love the DELAWARE's crew patch... love the Blue Hen..
http://ss481.com/
Runner485 View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runner485 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 1:06pm
Thanks for the pic Jim. That's the first time I saw it...I gotta find out where I can get me one of those...Clap
DBF
Joe
SS485,CVA42
Holland Club
Mid-Atlantic Base
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by Runner485 Runner485 wrote:

Thanks for the pic Jim. That's the first time I saw it...I gotta find out where I can get me one of those...Clap

Google on uss delaware ship's patch...

Numerous hits - one follows.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic