Rontini Submarine BBS Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > U.S. Submarine History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"The opinions posted here do not represent those of any company, organization, or group and are those only of the author of the respective post." - From Rontini

RontiniSubmarineBBS.com is proudly sponsored by Submarine Shop for Submariners. Your patronage helps support this BBS.

At Ron's direction, we have removed all forums that were not being actively posted to.

Chief Petty Officer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Qualified
Qualified

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ELT627 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chief Petty Officer
    Posted: 01 Apr 2021 at 12:55pm
On April 1, 1893, Navy General Order 409 established the rank of chief petty officer. Today, we wish a Happy 126th Birthday to all our Navy Chiefs!
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2021 at 1:40pm
It was 1958 when E-8 and E-9 were created with the first selectees promoting to their respective grades in 1959 and 1960.
610ET View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 610ET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 2:00pm

My dad was one of those.

He was advanced to QMCS(SS) in 1959.

These promotions were made off of the exam and the competition was fierce.

If scheduled for promotion, CPO's were advanced to either SCPO or MCPO based on their time in service.

So some guys went from E7 direct to E9.

Hard chargers all.

Dad went to PCU SSBN 598 as QM LCPO and shortly after arrival as COB.

Edited by 610ET - 04 May 2021 at 2:06pm
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 4:20pm
I forget. When did we cease calling all E-7/8/9 "Chief" and goto Chief, Senior Chief, and Master Chief?
I believe it was not immediately.
Kinda like when we stopped calling E-6 and below by their last name only.

Edited by SaltiDawg - 04 May 2021 at 4:21pm
610ET View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 610ET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 6:20pm
I got out 9/72 and it was still, Chief, for all three pay grades.

Also still last name or command nick name for blue shirts.

Edited by 610ET - 04 May 2021 at 6:23pm
FTGC(SS) Lane View Drop Down
Old Salt
Old Salt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FTGC(SS) Lane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2021 at 6:57am
Around 1980 the Navy went to using the formal titles, like the other branches. The last name/nickname remained for informal conversations.
I called my Weps on Aspro by his nickname most of the time, until he left the boat. He pointed out that I only called him "Lieutenant" when I was pissed at him.
bflynn View Drop Down
Mess-Crank
Mess-Crank

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bflynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2021 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by SaltiDawg SaltiDawg wrote:

I forget. When did we cease calling all E-7/8/9 "Chief" and goto Chief, Senior Chief, and Master Chief?
I believe it was not immediately.
Kinda like when we stopped calling E-6 and below by their last name only.

Late 80s, last names were used and every chief was "Chief".  Except that crazy guy in boot camp with the red cord on his uniform.
Bgurls View Drop Down
Former CO's
Former CO's

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bgurls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2021 at 8:26am
Newly minted YNCM at SUBGRU 6 Staff told the Chief of Staff, when asked what to call him "Just call me MASTER!"
SSR269,SS580(CO),SS582(XO),SSBN634,SSBN619,AS18(XO),SUBASE PH(XO),SUBSCHOOL(XO),SUBPAC(FLAG SEC),PERS42(DETAILER), CSS1(Chief Staff Officer)DAV(Life Member)VFW(Life Member)
Tom McNulty View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom McNulty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2021 at 9:29am
Remember around 1970 where you were no longer an LPO but became a Work Center Supervisor. Liberty became a right. Prior to that all I remember was Chief ? and E6 and below called by last names or nicknames. In also believe once made COB the "Chief" was dropped and he became just COB.
SSBN599B,SSBN600B,SSBN611G
USNR Beaumont, TX,
USSVI Life Member
Mid Atlantic Base
Holland Club
610ET View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 610ET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2021 at 11:09pm
Hey Tom,

I was NAV ET LPO for my last 3 patrols and left the boat 4/1971.

Did that work center designation start at shore commands?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic