Rontini Submarine BBS Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > U.S. Submarine Related
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"The opinions posted here do not represent those of any company, organization, or group and are those only of the author of the respective post." - From Rontini

RontiniSubmarineBBS.com is proudly sponsored by Submarine Shop for Submariners. Your patronage helps support this BBS.

At Ron's direction, we have removed all forums that were not being actively posted to.

Three Blasts on Diving Alarm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
FTGC(SS) Lane View Drop Down
Old Salt
Old Salt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FTGC(SS) Lane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 5:17am
If my memory, from 45 years ago, serves me correctly I believe we were taught, at Sub School, three blasts were for emergency surface.
fortyrod View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fortyrod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 4:04am
This is an interesting thread which reveals some very serious inadequacies and incongruities in Past Naval operations within the submarine community. There were inconsistencies of klaxon operations upon surfacing from boat to boat. On the out word appearance it seems as if the Commanding Officers  of each submarine in the past had prerogatives which were exercised regarding whether the diving alarm was operated upon surfacing. These prerogatives should not have been an option as it it took away uniformity within the submarine service. Even more frighting is the stark revelation there were no Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) on diesel boats or ORSE boards to inspect them.

It is proposed that an investigative committee headed by an Admiral From Naval Air, and Two Captains (along with numerous top heavy staff weinies) from the surface line look into how these past errors could be corrected. Recommendations are to be made how to  retroactively correct these serious mistakes, and what training should be instituted to re-educated the crew. A budget of 1.2 million will be allocated from the operating budget of defense department. Additional expenses may be incurred if an Air Force augmentation is required.
Everything is relative
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2016 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by 610ET 610ET wrote:

Originally posted by SaltiDawg SaltiDawg wrote:

Could it be that during 3-4 year tours on an SSBN that they had to add sounding the diving alarm three times on surfacing to jog the memories since the last surfacing so long before? Or did the off-crew leave Post It Notes?   Embarrassed

We also had to requalfy every patrol for the same reason.

So I guess you couldn't ask the 120+ other guys that manned your boat?  Oh wait. Clown

Edited by SaltiDawg - 30 Jan 2016 at 7:40am
610ET View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 610ET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2016 at 5:51pm

Could it be that during 3-4 year tours on an SSBN that they had to add sounding the diving alarm three times on surfacing to jog the memories since the last surfacing so long before? Or did the off-crew leave Post It Notes?   Embarrassed

We also had to requalfy every patrol for the same reason.

Dr. Stan View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Stan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2016 at 3:51pm

I suppose that surfacing once every 60 days has its downside.  One does tend to forget.  OBTW, we didn't have any Post-It notes back then since they were not available until 1974 or so.  We depended on the Quartermaster's memory instead. Wink

Edited by Dr. Stan - 29 Jan 2016 at 3:52pm
It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues.~Abe Lincoln
SS-393, SSBN-610(B), SSBN-624(G), SSN-591
USSVI Life Member; Holland Club; Plank Owner, Smoky Mtn. Base
gcconnor1 View Drop Down
Old Salt
Old Salt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcconnor1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2016 at 3:44pm
Come on now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  We did have sea trials before every patrol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GC Connor EMC(SS)/LT USN Ret
USS Ethan Allen(7)
Holland Club WA2STJ
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2016 at 3:41pm

Edited by SaltiDawg - 29 Jan 2016 at 3:41pm
Dr. Stan View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Stan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2016 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by 610ET 610ET wrote:

610 combined crew in the shipyard and later 610 Blue were three blasts for every normal surface.. 

I was aboard 6/67 - 4/71.

Thanks Chris for confirming my memory.  I thought we did the 3 x (klaxon + surface announcement) thing while I was on the Edison (1963-65) but wasn't sure if I were conflating it with my Queenfish experience (1961-62), which I am sure about.
It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues.~Abe Lincoln
SS-393, SSBN-610(B), SSBN-624(G), SSN-591
USSVI Life Member; Holland Club; Plank Owner, Smoky Mtn. Base
610ET View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 610ET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2016 at 9:31am
610 combined crew in the shipyard and later 610 Blue were three blasts for every normal surface.. 

I was aboard 6/67 - 4/71.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2016 at 6:47am
Originally posted by FTGC(SS) Lane FTGC(SS) Lane wrote:

On the four boats (three 637 and one 640) never sounded any alarm on a normal or airless surfacing. I did a lot of surfaces and dives as COW/DOOW

My memory is different than Mike's.  I remember the diving alarm on surfacing in the early 90s, but we're talking about really old grey matter now.  

Sounds like this is something that wasn't standard across the fleet or standard across boat type.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic