Rontini Submarine BBS Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > U.S. Submarine Related
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"The opinions posted here do not represent those of any company, organization, or group and are those only of the author of the respective post." - From Rontini

RontiniSubmarineBBS.com is proudly sponsored by Submarine Shop for Submariners. Your patronage helps support this BBS.

At Ron's direction, we have removed all forums that were not being actively posted to.

Three Blasts on Diving Alarm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 609EM1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 4:46pm
On the Bugara SS-331 ('62-'63) and the Sam Houston SSBN-609 ('65-'69) three blasts on the diving alarm (klaxon) was for Emergency Surface only.
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by 609EM1 609EM1 wrote:

On the Bugara SS-331 ('62-'63) and the Sam Houston SSBN-609 ('65-'69) three blasts on the diving alarm (klaxon) was for Emergency Surface only.

Maybe I've seen too many John Wayne movies, but I've got this image of a WWII submerged approach on the enemy convoy.  John decides to surface in the midst of the convoy and decimate them with his deck guns.

He whispers to the COW, Surface the Boat.  The COW passes the word and sounds the Klaxon three times.  The camera shifts to the enemy Sonar Types tearing off their earphones in pain.

Johnbay View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnbay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by atozdbf atozdbf wrote:

Sorry all you young nukeypoo types but on the diesel boats there were few if any "airless" surfaces and at all times three blasts on the diving alarm followed by "Surface, Surface, Surface" on the 1MC were std procedure.

AtoZ

Ditto on Jallao!

Dr. Stan View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Stan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by Johnbay Johnbay wrote:

Originally posted by atozdbf atozdbf wrote:

Sorry all you young nukeypoo types but on the diesel boats there were few if any "airless" surfaces and at all times three blasts on the diving alarm followed by "Surface, Surface, Surface" on the 1MC were std procedure.

AtoZ

Ditto on Jallao!

Yup, as a young 9901 on the Queenfish, SS-393, many, many eons ago, I definitely remember hearing, "Now surface, surface, surface." But, that might have been only on the Queenfish . . . or not? 
It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues.~Abe Lincoln
SS-393, SSBN-610(B), SSBN-624(G), SSN-591
USSVI Life Member; Holland Club; Plank Owner, Smoky Mtn. Base
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 6:32pm
???

No question re "Surface, Surface, Surface."

Edited by SaltiDawg - 26 Jan 2016 at 6:41am
Hagar View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hagar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 8:16pm
    4 nooks. 3 blasts only for emergency surfaces. The modern boats don't have the
corresponding lights the Tullibee had. Green for diving alarm and red for collision. They were in noisy
spaces.

hagar
Tullibee, Miami, Holland, Frank Cable, Florida Gold, San Francisco.
Runner485 View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runner485 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2016 at 10:46pm
Sirago 485, 3 blasts of diving alarm, then surface,surface,surface. '60-64.
DBF
Joe
SS485,CVA42
Holland Club
Mid-Atlantic Base
PaulR View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 4:00am
Originally posted by Runner485 Runner485 wrote:

Sirago 485, 3 blasts of diving alarm, then surface,surface,surface. '60-64.

YUP...also USS Sea Robin 63-67...
Paul

ETN2(SS) 63-67

Bob Gawe View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Gawe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 5:22am
Chris, as I remember you were always in your bunk.  Had to say it Wink
Yes on the Allen 3 on surface.
Bob Gawe
rjs2005 View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjs2005 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 7:51am
5 nooks, my recollection is the same as Hagar- 3 blasts of the diving alarm only for emergency surface.  Only my 1st boat (630) had klaxons as equipped by Newport News SYD, although as those old boats were decommed, klaxons were obtained and mounted near the BCP on my next 2 subsequent boats (676 and 671), so the Chief of the Watch could hold the 1MC mike up to it and sound a real klaxon for diving, as opposed to the awful synthesized sound the installed diving alarm made.
Chuck Brunson EMCS(SS) Ret.

SSBN 630, SSN 676, SSN 671, SSN 712, SSBN 738
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic