Rontini Submarine BBS Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > U.S. Submarine Related
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"The opinions posted here do not represent those of any company, organization, or group and are those only of the author of the respective post." - From Rontini

RontiniSubmarineBBS.com is proudly sponsored by Submarine Shop for Submariners. Your patronage helps support this BBS.

At Ron's direction, we have removed all forums that were not being actively posted to.

Three Blasts on Diving Alarm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Old Salt
Old Salt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcconnor1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2016 at 3:44pm
Come on now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  We did have sea trials before every patrol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GC Connor EMC(SS)/LT USN Ret
USS Ethan Allen(7)
Holland Club WA2STJ
Dr. Stan View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Stan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2016 at 3:51pm

Originally posted by SaltiDawg SaltiDawg wrote:

Could it be that during 3-4 year tours on an SSBN that they had to add sounding the diving alarm three times on surfacing to jog the memories since the last surfacing so long before? Or did the off-crew leave Post It Notes?   Embarrassed

I suppose that surfacing once every 60 days has its downside.  One does tend to forget.  OBTW, we didn't have any Post-It notes back then since they were not available until 1974 or so.  We depended on the Quartermaster's memory instead. Wink

Edited by Dr. Stan - 29 Jan 2016 at 3:52pm
It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues.~Abe Lincoln
SS-393, SSBN-610(B), SSBN-624(G), SSN-591
USSVI Life Member; Holland Club; Plank Owner, Smoky Mtn. Base
610ET View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 610ET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2016 at 5:51pm

Could it be that during 3-4 year tours on an SSBN that they had to add sounding the diving alarm three times on surfacing to jog the memories since the last surfacing so long before? Or did the off-crew leave Post It Notes?   Embarrassed

We also had to requalfy every patrol for the same reason.

SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2016 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by 610ET 610ET wrote:

We also had to requalfy every patrol for the same reason.

So I guess you couldn't ask the 120+ other guys that manned your boat?  Oh wait. Clown

Edited by SaltiDawg - 30 Jan 2016 at 7:40am
fortyrod View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fortyrod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 4:04am
This is an interesting thread which reveals some very serious inadequacies and incongruities in Past Naval operations within the submarine community. There were inconsistencies of klaxon operations upon surfacing from boat to boat. On the out word appearance it seems as if the Commanding Officers  of each submarine in the past had prerogatives which were exercised regarding whether the diving alarm was operated upon surfacing. These prerogatives should not have been an option as it it took away uniformity within the submarine service. Even more frighting is the stark revelation there were no Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) on diesel boats or ORSE boards to inspect them.

It is proposed that an investigative committee headed by an Admiral From Naval Air, and Two Captains (along with numerous top heavy staff weinies) from the surface line look into how these past errors could be corrected. Recommendations are to be made how to  retroactively correct these serious mistakes, and what training should be instituted to re-educated the crew. A budget of 1.2 million will be allocated from the operating budget of defense department. Additional expenses may be incurred if an Air Force augmentation is required.
Everything is relative
FTGC(SS) Lane View Drop Down
Old Salt
Old Salt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FTGC(SS) Lane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 5:17am
If my memory, from 45 years ago, serves me correctly I believe we were taught, at Sub School, three blasts were for emergency surface.
Boy Throttleman View Drop Down
Old Salt
Old Salt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boy Throttleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 5:59am
I have estimated doing over 1000 dives in my 5 years at sea 62-68. (this estimate uses research at the National Archives of the USS Carps deck logs) During a chat with the COB of the USS Maryland launching he said he had done maybe 300 dives in 21 years. I laughed and asked "if he had to take a refresher course before surfacing after a boomer patrol". He laughed and said "no but it was a close thing"

Doing that research would be relatively easy (if the deck logs were declassified, some years weren't). Just ask for the year you went aboard and the year you left and do the math.
JrKrup, Skimmer View Drop Down
BBS Supporter
BBS Supporter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JrKrup, Skimmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 11:36am
Along with the controversy as to whether the surfacing alarm was sounded, or for that matter 2 blasts for diving, could the alarm be heard from outside the boat while it was submerged, whether the old Klaxon or the new "whoop whoop whoop" alarm? If it COULD be heard on the bad guy's sonar, would you want him to hear you hit the alarm for a normal surfacing?

This skimmer really doesn't care to know either way!Wink
Jon Krup, Skimmer - Minesweeps
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 12:03pm
Jon,
The Diving Alarm certainly could be heard by other vessels as a distinct transient.  That said, if the boat was surfacing it is inherently a loud evolution- as is submerging. I think the Surfacing Alarm would not be a major concern if you were about to blow all MBT and/or start the LP Blower or Diesel, or Blow MBTs with HP Air, bang hatches, and start cavitating all within a minute or so.

Generally on some boats, surfacing was initiated by saying "Surface" three times.  As you see here there are mixed reports as to whether in addition the Diving Alarm was also sounded on a routine surfacing.  Some report yes, some no. If I've read correctly, everyone agrees that three blasts were sounded following the word being passed three times in an emergency. 

I do think at least a couple of us may be confused on this point, because within the same class and same time period there seems to be conflicting resolutions. Just my own thought, I would tend to give more credence to the memories of COWs, OODs, and DO's then others - I think the rest of us may simply not remember as well.  LOL

I'm quite sure that no one suggested anything other than two blasts on the diving alarm when submerging.  On the 637s there was a Dive Bill and also a Stationary Dive Bill for use in the ice.  Both had two blasts on the Diving Alarm following the 1MC announcement.

I was the OP and asked the question because in a book that I am reading the author reports three blasts on the diving alarm following the word being passed on a routine surfacing on a SSN-637 in 1971 to head to the barn in NLON.  At that exact time I was serving on the 2nd of 3 consecutive SSN-637s out of NLON all in the same Squadron as the boat in the book, if not on the boat in the book.  We did not at that time on that Class sound the Diving Alarm at all when doing a routine surfacing - only in an Emergency. When I posted, I knew that it was a mistake in the book I'm reading, but having seen the three blasts on routine surfaces in a few other books, I asked for recollections here. Still not sure who  did and who didn't as a matter of time or Class.

One additional action required in an Emergency Surface was that the EMBT Marotta Valves were to be monitored and possibly manually operated if directed - a dangerous proposition.

Edited by SaltiDawg - 30 Jan 2016 at 6:03pm
Dr. Stan View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Stan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by fortyrod fortyrod wrote:

This is an interesting thread which reveals some very serious inadequacies and incongruities in Past Naval operations within the submarine community. There were inconsistencies of klaxon operations upon surfacing from boat to boat. On the out word appearance it seems as if the Commanding Officers  of each submarine in the past had prerogatives which were exercised regarding whether the diving alarm was operated upon surfacing. These prerogatives should not have been an option as it it took away uniformity within the submarine service. Even more frighting is the stark revelation there were no Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) on diesel boats or ORSE boards to inspect them.

It is proposed that an investigative committee headed by an Admiral From Naval Air, and Two Captains (along with numerous top heavy staff weinies) from the surface line look into how these past errors could be corrected. Recommendations are to be made how to  retroactively correct these serious mistakes, and what training should be instituted to re-educated the crew. A budget of 1.2 million will be allocated from the operating budget of defense department. Additional expenses may be incurred if an Air Force augmentation is required.

You are correct, sir.  Certainly a retroactive correction is indicated and should be conducted forthwith.  I'm not certain, however, whether a mere $1.2 million would be sufficient and suggest that it be increased to $1.2 Billion in order to cover office expenses, traveling expenses and other essential incidentals, like bar tabs, private massages and so on.  This long overlooked travesty of justice shall not stand uncorrected.

It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues.~Abe Lincoln
SS-393, SSBN-610(B), SSBN-624(G), SSN-591
USSVI Life Member; Holland Club; Plank Owner, Smoky Mtn. Base
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic