Rontini Submarine BBS Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Submarine Related
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Nuke Rated Ratings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"The opinions posted here do not represent those of any company, organization, or group and are those only of the author of the respective post." - From Rontini

New Benefit Auction COMING SOON - See here
UPDATE 6/28: Pictures of some items posted, see above link. Auction is still coming, bidding is NOT open yet.
UPDATE 7/1: Additional pictures added. Rontini has posted the more info at the above link.


Nuke Rated Ratings

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message
Kwn View Drop Down
Qualified
Qualified


Joined: 05 Jan 2016
Location: Maine
Status: Offline
Points: 34
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kwn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2018 at 3:33pm
He does take the STS exams. He was designated ET Sonar in A school 8 years ago. Sorry if there was any confusion. 
Back to Top
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover
Avatar

Joined: 03 Jan 2016
Location: Rockville, MD
Status: Offline
Points: 2426
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2018 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by FTGC(SS) Lane FTGC(SS) Lane wrote:

Originally posted by Kwn Kwn wrote:

It all seems so confusing now. My son in law is classified an ET although he is in actually a ST and takes a rating exam specifically on sonar topics.

Makes no sense. There is still an STS community. So he should be an ST taking Sonar exams.

As an FTG I took tests with all sorts of surface fire control systems and radars. We in the submarine community "stole" all sorts of billets for E6 and above from the surface community. We had better evals and far less captain's masts.


Precisely correct!
Back to Top
Kwn View Drop Down
Qualified
Qualified


Joined: 05 Jan 2016
Location: Maine
Status: Offline
Points: 34
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kwn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2018 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by SaltiDawg SaltiDawg wrote:

Originally posted by FTGC(SS) Lane FTGC(SS) Lane wrote:

Originally posted by Kwn Kwn wrote:

It all seems so confusing now. My son in law is classified an ET although he is in actually a ST and takes a rating exam specifically on sonar topics.

Makes no sense. There is still an STS community. So he should be an ST taking Sonar exams.

As an FTG I took tests with all sorts of surface fire control systems and radars. We in the submarine community "stole" all sorts of billets for E6 and above from the surface community. We had better evals and far less captain's masts.


Precisely correct!

As I said, he does take the ST exams, sorry for the confusion. As an MM in the 70’s our test were entirely surface fleet subjects 
Back to Top
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover
Avatar

Joined: 03 Jan 2016
Location: Rockville, MD
Status: Offline
Points: 2426
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2018 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by Kwn Kwn wrote:

As I said, he does take the ST exams, sorry for the confusion. As an MM in the 70’s our test were entirely surface fleet subjects 

Arguably, they were not "surface fleet subjects" because probably 98% of the entire MMs in the Navy did not serve on Boats.  The Test reflected equipments seen by 98% of the MMs in the Navy.





Edited by SaltiDawg - 02 Jul 2018 at 8:44am
Back to Top
SaltiDawg View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover
Avatar

Joined: 03 Jan 2016
Location: Rockville, MD
Status: Offline
Points: 2426
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltiDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2018 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by SaltiDawg SaltiDawg wrote:

[QUOTE=Kwn]
As I said, he does take the ST exams, sorry for the confusion. As an MM in the 70’s our test were entirely surface fleet subjects 

Arguably, they were not "surface fleet subjects" because probably 98% of the entire MMs in the Navy did not serve on Boats.  The Test reflected equipments seen by 98% of the MMs in the Navy.



Edited by SaltiDawg - 01 Jul 2018 at 7:16pm
Back to Top
Curt View Drop Down
Rickover
Rickover
Avatar

Joined: 13 Jan 2016
Location: Virtinia
Status: Offline
Points: 565
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2018 at 3:30am
Thanks,
Curt
Back to Top
Kwn View Drop Down
Qualified
Qualified


Joined: 05 Jan 2016
Location: Maine
Status: Offline
Points: 34
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kwn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2018 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by SaltiDawg SaltiDawg wrote:

Originally posted by SaltiDawg SaltiDawg wrote:

[QUOTE=Kwn]
As I said, he does take the ST exams, sorry for the confusion. As an MM in the 70’s our test were entirely surface fleet subjects 

Arguably, they were not "surface fleet subjects" because probably 98% of the entire MMs in the Navy did not serve on Boats.  The Test reflected equipments seen by 98% of the MMs in the Navy.


Good point. 👍
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.04
Copyright ©2001-2015 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.031 seconds.