Print Page | Close Window

Leon Rathbun

Printed From: Rontini Submarine BBS
Category: General
Forum Name: Final Patrol Notices
Forum Description: Shipmate passing information
Printed Date: 23 Oct 2021 at 12:34pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.04 -

Topic: Leon Rathbun
Posted By: Tom Curtis
Subject: Leon Rathbun
Date Posted: 24 Jun 2021 at 12:48pm

Captain Leon "Lee" Rathbun passed away on June 21, 2021. He was born in Portsmouth, Virginia in 1921, and later moved to East Aurora, New York. He graduated from high school first in his class in 1938 and then attended Lehigh University for a year. He was appointed to the Naval Academy in 1939. He graduated in 1942 with the accelerated class of 1943.

His first assignment to DMS Wasmuth was nearly his last. While on escort duty in the north Pacific, Wasmuth was sunk in a violent storm near the Aleutian Islands in December 1942. Miraculously all hands were saved by another ship in the convoy. After a much needed survivor's leave, Lee reported to the destroyer Halford in Bremerton. In the next two years Halford saw much action while operating with carrier task forces in the central and later the southwest Pacific.

In April of 1944 he volunteered for submarine duty, and completed Submarine School in New London, Connecticut in June. At this time he married his fiancée, Mary Ross Holts, who traveled across the country from Seattle to meet him. Lee next reported to Blueback (SS-326), and made three war patrols in the Java Sea and East China Sea operating out of Perth, Australia and Subic Bay, Philippines. He received the Navy Commendation medal for his performance as torpedo officer on these patrols.

At war’s end in August 1945 Blueback and several other submarines were ordered to remain at Guam for five months. They finally returned to San Diego in January 1946, and Lee had a happy reunion with Mary Ross after eighteen months of separation. After a short leave, Lee was assigned to Entemedor (SS-340). He served as engineer officer and later as navigator on a six-month deployment to the western Pacific. This included a month in Tsingtao, China, which at that time was surrounded and under siege by communist forces.

In 1948 he applied and was selected for graduate school, and attained a M.S. in Electrical Engineering. He then became Executive Officer of Carp (SS-338) in San Diego, followed by staff duty on Submarine Squadron One at Pearl Harbor. He assumed command of Bugara (SS-331) in February 1953. Bugara then operated out of Yokuska, Japan, making surveillance patrols in the north Pacific.

In 1955 he returned to New London and successively became Executive Officer of the submarine tenders Nereus and then Fulton. He next was the commander of Submarine Division 82, and later became Director of Advanced Training at Submarine School. In 1961 he was selected for nuclear power training, and reported to Naval Reactors Division AEC in Washington. In 1962 he was assigned as first Commanding Officer of the nuclear ballistic missile submarine, Thomas Jefferson (SSBN-618) under construction in Newport News. He commissioned the ship in 1963 and made three strategic patrols as commanding officer.

He attended the National War College 1965-66 and then returned to New London: this time as Officer in Charge, and later Commanding Officer of the Submarine School. In this period, 1966-68, the Submarine Force was growing rapidly, and the School had to expand proportionately to meet the need for more trained submariners in the force. For his direction and management during this period, he later received the Legion of Merit.

Lee retired in 1970 and began a new career as professor of mathematics at Miami-Dade Community College. He then served as Chairman of the Mathematics Department, and subsequently he was appointed as Associate Dean of the Natural Science Division, which encompassed the Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics, and Biology Departments.

Living in Miami, Lee and Mary Ross enjoyed cruising Biscayne Bay and the Florida Keys in their 30-foot sloop. Lee also volunteered in tax counseling and literacy training. After surviving Hurricane Andrew in 1992, the Rathbuns decided to move north, and happily found a home at Patriots Colony in Williamsburg. Here they both continued to be active as volunteers, at Colonial Williamsburg, as drivers for "Meals on Wheels" and at St. Martin's Episcopal Church, as well as many activities at Patriots Colony.

In May of 2021, Lee lost the love of his life, Mary Ross. His sons, Scott (Janet) and Ross (Melanie), as well as his granddaughter, Meghan, survive him.

Lee and Mary Ross will be laid to rest at Arlington National Cemetery at a later date. Condolences may be shared at

USNA[Canberra(CAG-2);Willard Keith(DD-775)];Providence(CLG-6);Sea Robin(SS-407); Nat Greene(SSBN-636B); GMS Dam Neck; Naval Advisory Group,Viet Nam; Okinawa(LPH-3); OIC FLTAC Corona;OIC NWS Fallbrook

Posted By: SaltiDawg
Date Posted: 24 Jun 2021 at 1:19pm
He sounds like he was quite a man!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.04 -
Copyright ©2001-2015 Web Wiz Ltd. -